Rushton Indian Girl 17

Mark Mc

Curious about Wooden Canoes
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bod/4687900881.html Red Alert!!! There is what appears to be an Indian Girl at an antique shop in the Syracuse NY area. (Auburn NY). Shop owner says its canvas not fiberglssed. No rot on stems etc, closed gunnels, listed on Craig's List Syracuse w/photos. 315-246-1188. I'm in Iowa, can't get it. Says he'd take $250.00.
If it is what I think it is, someone is gonna be happy...:eek:
Good luck,
Mark.

Whoops, It's a Morris I think....

Last edited:
Just a general question about this canoe. Had one once with a quite rounded bottom as this one appears to have, got rid if it because it wasn't a good stable flat water canoe. An old timer told me it was primarily a river canoe as the rounded bottoms we're preferred for maneuverability in moving water, is that correct?
Don

I notice straight ribs even through the paint job.

That would eliminate both Rushton and Morris.

May still be a deal,

Paul

An old timer told me it was primarily a river canoe as the rounded bottoms we're preferred for maneuverability in moving water, is that correct?

No, it's not. In fact, most whitewater boats which are made to have extreme maneuverability have rather flat bottoms. Stability is more a matter of waterline beam than anything else. For a typical tandem canoe, once you get to around 32"-33" beam at the 4" waterline you're up in the range where most folks feel fairly comfortable in the boat. Narrower than that and it's likely to be a bit twitchy. It can still be paddled, but may take some getting used to. Flat bottomed canoes have high initial stability, but will tend to pitch more in waves and usually have less secondary stability if you get into rough conditions than an arched or more rounded bottom. Old wooden canoes also sometimes tend to round-out a bit with age on their bottoms. If you look at the shape the ribs have been steam-bent to (sharp bend at the turn of the bilge and a very shallow bend across the bottom) it's not a particularly natural shape for a piece of wood to take. Over time, and with changes in weather, temperature and humidity, the bottom curves may not always stay as shallow as they once were.

Good point Paul...I was all excited about the decks...maybe it's an early We-no-nah with those seat hangers!

Back