Ribs Ends at Deck ~ Rotted ~ How to fix?

Rib Tip Replacement

This Does Work, But Will Not Provide Any Structural Strength.
I Cut Off The Bad Edge Squarely, And Add A Taper Inside The Boat From Below The Edge About An Inch Long. Mate This To A New Tip Piece Properly Shaped/tapered And Epoxy It On With Clamp.
Sand To Finish On The Flat And Edge, And It Will Be Stronger Than The Original.
When You Get The Hang Of It, It Goes Quickly .dave D.pm Me If You Need To, I Am Close By.....good Luck

I Cut Off The Bad Edge Squarely, And Add A Taper Inside The Boat From Below The Edge About An Inch Long. Mate This To A New Tip Piece Properly Shaped/tapered And Epoxy It On With Clamp.
Sand To Finish On The Flat And Edge, And It Will Be Stronger Than The Original.

I see your point and I am familiar with the scarf joint you describe.

I had thought of laying a piece of fiber glass cloth along my cut and then applying epoxy. I'm familiar with working with fiberglass from building Stitch and glue kayaks.

thank you for tip

I just finished a 1916 Old Town Ideal where I scarfed every rib tip (100+ of the boogers!). I removed the planking to expose the rib tip, just as MikeCav has pictured. I used a belt sander (hand held) with 60 grit to put the scarf angle on the rib (eyeballing is not hard).
I then made a mating piece by rough cutting the angle on a band saw and doing a final fit by sanding it to match the rib on a 4 x 36 bench top belt sander. Then Gorilla glue, damp it and clamp it. Turned out great, and gave integrity back to the damaged rib tips. The taper is then between the rib and planking when finished and is not easily seen.
I was gonna chisel and plane and try to make a special jig, etc., but after using this method, I'll probably stick with it.
Dave

Dave,

Be careful of that Gorilla glue (and off shoots), there can be NO gap for it to be strong. If there is a gap, it foams and has no strength.

Dan

Back