Rib Replacement issues.

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
I am replacing 4 ribs on an old town and am encountering ribs that are really stuck. The varnish is acting like glue way more than I have ever had to deal with before.

I'm splitting the rib to get it out and using a heat gun to get the rest of it out. The tacks come out ok and are shorter than standard, thin ribs and planks. Am I on the right track with the heat gun method? I think quarter inch ribs are too thin for me to back side rib repair.

I'm glad it's only four ribs.

Dave, old post but new question. Remember how you pulled the ribs out? I have the same situation but with 16 ribs! Very thin EM White Featherweight ribs are stuck like glue!!!!!!

Old Town I am working on had same problem. Don't know how so much varnish or shellac could get behind the ribs unless they varnished ribs and then planked the canoe hours later, but boy were they stuck on there. Ended up having to replace more planking than should have due to tear out.

I have had some luck with tapping a wide and thin wooden wedge between the planking and the back of the rib and working along both sides of the problem rib. I had to go very easily to avoid damaging the planking.

I don't recall any issues with ribs sticking on the Featherweight...
1960's and 1970's Old Towns have given me fits in that regard...
On those, it meant the planks get busted up when removing them.

A wide bladed putty knife under the rib/ planking joint will sometimes help considerable. Right or wrong, it seemed to me that these canoes were varnished towards the end of the day when the workers were behind. They could dump a gallon of varnish into a canoe, slosh it around, and then dump it into the next canoe. A lot of canoes could be varnished in a short period of time. Of course, this is just my warped way of thinking!

I'm with ya Gil. Warped thinking or not....somehow copious amounts of varnish got between the ribs and planks.
They were built with no regard to repair.

Back