Rhinelander Canoe post WWII

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Thought I'd post pictures of an interesting canoe that was brought to the Jag Lake event this month-- a 14 foot Rhinelander. That's right-- a fourteen-footer! Not many American companies made a 14' canoe-- it's one size that Morris skipped.

We know Rhinelander canoes to be "based on the Morris"... and this was very close. I found it interesting that Rhinelander changed the style of the short deck, following Morris's lead: their early canoes have a heart-shaped-deck and the later ones have the curve.

Note also that the splayed stem looks much the same as on a Morris (although it appears to be ash rather than cedar), and there are three pairs of cant ribs. This canoe is essentially the last produced by the Rhinelander Company and is in the possession of the son of the company's last owner.

Kathy

Attachments

• Rhinelander deck.jpg
    Rhinelander deck.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Rhinelander stem.jpg
    Rhinelander stem.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 265
I think Rhinelander canoes are fairly rare, and most that exist are probably in Wisconsin. The fellow who owns the canoe pictured above has some data from the factory. I think he needs to do a journal article.

Back