Remembering Scottie Baker

Michael Grace

Lifetime Member
With respect and admiration for Scottie and her family legacy, I'm sharing news of the loss of Scottie Baker. She was a friend and colleague in the wooden canoe world, one who truly lived, and one who lived to share beauty with others. She will be missed. From Tina Claiborne (Scottie's daughter) and her husband Todd:

Todd and I were honored to help Mom receive the beautiful stories and sentiments from her circle of friends and loved ones. She thoroughly enjoyed the daily barrage of photos, cards, letters, phone calls, performances, visits, and uplifting love.

Mom passed away at home, knowing that her life made a difference; we thank you. In true "Scottie form," she decided against a formal obituary or memorial. Instead, this image has been submitted to the papers, along with the fitting quote from a Wooden Canoe Heritage Association article about her art (credit to Michael Grace).

If you are so moved, Todd and I invite you to carry on her legacy with donations to the nonprofit organizations Otsego Lake Association and Wooden Canoe Heritage Association. Written correspondence to Todd and I may be mailed to P.O. Box 77, Fly Creek, NY 13337.

Raise your glass to spring and new beginnings,
Tina & Todd

Scottie Baker Obit Photo and Quote.png

Last edited:
Condolences to Tina and Todd. Scottie and Dave were stalwarts in the early years of the WCHA. I first met them in Dorset, when Scottie celebrated her 40th birthday during the assembly. Always a joy to be around. Thanks Tina for riding in the pickup bed in the rain when your parents took me to the airport after the assembly in Maine.

Last edited:
Back