Rare vintage eyehooks located

MGC

Scrapmaker
What may be considered one of the most significant recent historical canoe collecting finds is currently listed on Ebay. Sadly, a previous owner damaged the hooks when he attached these priceless objects to an old canoe. Presuming that the damage is not too severe it may be possible to salvage these through an extensive restoration. We can only hope that an appreciative collector or museum purchases them and restores them to their full glory.
:D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pristine1908-Skaneateles-Boat-Canoe-Co-Sailing-Canoe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem518b92e026QQitemZ350234009638QQptZSailboats

Sad thing about the vast over-pricing of this nice boat is that it deserves to be purchased by someone who may not be "of means" but who has a passion for old boats and sailing. While I don't think anyone would pay that much for it, the seller obviously thinks he/she has a priceless gem and it may end up hung by the eyehooks again, by some modern-day "sport".

Glad I was able to at least save the pictures, an unusual ability these days on eBay.

"one of the most significant recent historical canoe collecting finds"... maybe that's what the seller is thinking, but I don't think so. Yes, it's interesting, but not nearly THAT interesting. A number of similarly interesting canoe have traded hands in just the last year, and at far, far lower prices.

Michael Grace said:
Yes, it's interesting, but not nearly THAT interesting. A number of similarly interesting canoe have traded hands in just the last year, and at far, far lower prices.

Not so sure about the canoe, just another old wooden boat. But those eyehooks, priceless!:rolleyes:

Yes, it's really bazaar how some folks assess the value of these old canoes. This one is certainly an interesting canoe but it's hard to imagine anyone assigning this price as a starting bid on it. You have to wonder what a "reasonable offer" is?

Anyway, I agree with Kathryn, I hope it ends up in good hands and not hanging upside down in another restaurant for the next 30 years.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you about the value of those eyehooks! Those are SWEET! I contacted the seller and asked if they would sell the canoe separately from the eyehooks (I knew I couldn't afford such fine hardware). But alas, it's a package deal. Oh well...

Pricey delivery

The seller justifies the price since "it includes delivery anywhere in New England". Hm...... give me a cut of that. I'll throw it on the roof of my car and drive it anywhere in the North East. It might vanish along the way though.
Seller also confirms that the hooks go through the bottom.

Back