Quiz

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
There was a company that made wood canvas canoes, duck boats, rowboats, and strip built boats, as well. Can you tell by the (expletive) rusty screws who it is???

Attachments

• 100_1767.jpg
    100_1767.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 395
I've pulled my share of those out of Thompsons... this year's featured builder at Assembly!

Looks just like the screws I took out of A 1977 Chestnut I restored last winter
except your missing the steel carriage bolts !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The only steel I've seen on Thompson canoes are the finish nails in the outwales. Otherwise the keel and gunwale screws have all been brass on boats as well as canoes.

Dave Wermuth is right.... Shell Lake. They are from a Snipe canvas covered rowboat with a "canoe" bow.
Of the steel screws that held the keel and spray rails on,.....nearly 50, only two backed out without being pulled with a prybar or broken off.

Proving the old adage that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. Here's a photo of how I came to that guess.

Attachments

• 100_2067.jpg
    100_2067.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 380
Scrap steel prices are fairly high. I'll take the bucket of rusty stuff and sell it! he he he

How do the fasteners of Rhinelander and Hayward and other northern Wisconsin watercraft builders compare?

Andreas

The Rhinelander boats I've worked on had galvanized steel fasteners and have been relatively easy to remove. As I mentioned, Shell Lake's are a different story....both boats and canoes were a genuine PITA.
I've worked on a couple Peterson Bros. and I recall steel there, too. The only Tomahawk boat I ever worked on was a replica and it was brass.
The Thompson's I've worked on have been brass, with the exception of the nails. It seems to me that on Thompson rowboats they were assembled by nailing, then screws were installed. It's the only reason I can figure that you find a bunch of small nails in Thompson boats. Thompson canoe have been all brass except for the steel finishing nails throug the gunwales.

Thompson Bros. Boat at Peshtigo did nail components together first. They got components steam bent and slapped together and put in place, drove a quick nail in and continued to the next piece. Afterwards they came back and screwed and bolted things to each other. They continued this practice until 1969 when they ceased making wooden watercraft.

Andreas

Back