Question from a neophyte and warm regards from Michigan's U.P., eh.

ckirk

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have long lurked here on the forum with no real reason to post. That all changed yesterday. I responded to a classified advertisement and acquired a wood/canvas canoe in very good condition. I purchased the canoe from a very elderly man that was the local high school industrial arts teacher. He claims to have acquired the canoe when the Cyrus McCormack family donated their Upper Peninsula family camp to the USDA in 1967 and the camps furnishings were auctioned to the public. He and his wife used the canoe as a trout fishing craft for years. He also said he restored the canoe about 20+ years ago. I can find no other identifiers on the canoe outside of an oval serial number tag on the inwhale. It has a square stern which puzzles me, because I assumed square sterns were a more contemporary design. I will post some pictures of what I think to be distinguishing characteristics.

I bought the canoe because I plan to use it for fishing with my daughter. I have used aluminum canoes due to finances, but I have always wanted a wooden canoe of my very own. Now I just want to know about the canoe I have acquired. Any questions, information, or thoughts on possible manufacturers would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

View attachment 21726
View attachment 21727
View attachment 21728View attachment 21729

I can find no other identifiers on the canoe outside of an oval serial number tag on the inwhale.
Any questions, information, or thoughts on possible manufacturers would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance,Chris

Chris,
You own a Morris canoe that was probably built sometime between 1906 and 1908.
Records for Morris are spliced together from some sketchy dates so a precise build date cannot be offered.
Likely it got it's stern trimmed when the last owner refinished and glassed it.
It appears to be in nice shape albeit missing one deck and one of the classic Morris cedar stems.
Enjoy. That should be a fine fishing boat.

MGC,

Thanks for the reply. I did a closer inspection of the stern and it does appear to be altered. The "new" square stern is inserted about 3/4 of an inch behind the last full rib. I can see remnants of where the old stem lapped over the first full rib in the rear. I am sure you are right about the previous owner altering the canoe. He included in the sale an AquaBug motor. He said he used the motor whenever he fished the Sturgeon River, but the canoe and motor had been in storage for 10 years.

I am going to put her on the water tomorrow and see how she does. No need for a motor, I'd rather paddle. Hoping for minimal leakage.

Thanks again,

Chris

Back