Question for our Massachusetts historians

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
If someone is listed in the 1920 US census as living in West Bridgewater, Plymouth County, MA, as a canoe builder in a canoe factory, where might he have worked?

Proximity of residence to factory suggests that there was canoe factory nearby, but I have never heard of one from that era in Plymouth County, such as any one of the well-known builders and canoe factories along the Charles River in Waltham, Newton, etc. It does appear likely that Bridgewater did have its own version of the Charles River canoe club mania of the 1920s, as there still exists in Bridgewater a Canoe Club Ballroom on the Town River.

Googling "Nunckatessett Canoe Club" yields 997 hits... and it becomes its own research project!

A quick tour through Google Books shows The New England Business Directory and Gazetteer for 1922. It has sections for "Boat Builders" and "Boats to Let" that includes the names of many familiar canoe builders as shown below. I didn't see anything listed in Bridgewater, Brockton, or any other surrounding towns. My guess is that he was building on a very small scale and may have been working directly with some of the local canoe clubs like several of the smaller builders in the Charles River area did.

Benson

Attachments

• NE-Business-Dir-title.jpg
    NE-Business-Dir-title.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 233
  • NE-Business-Dir-591.jpg
    NE-Business-Dir-591.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 221
  • NE-Business-Dir-592.jpg
    NE-Business-Dir-592.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 209
  • NE-Business-Dir-OTC.jpg
    NE-Business-Dir-OTC.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. There are some fantastic photos of the Nunckatessett Canoe Club on one of the sites that came up on Google.

As I ponder it further, I wonder if it might be a red herring. Our gentleman in question is presumed to have been working at the Morris factory in Veazie (per 1910 US census), and he may well have moved south after finding himself suddenly unemployed in January of 1920. He may have simply listed his former occupation for the census.

Another Veazie canoe builder (1910) had also moved south and was listed as a laborer in a color works in Ashland, MA, on the 1920 US Census.

I was kind of surprised that there was such a large club in West Bridgewater. The Patriot Ledger article says the second club housed 144 canoes! There were several clubs along the Charles, often associated with and serviced by a builder. So it’s not improbable that this guy moved to Bridgewater because he thought he could get a job there. The materials found by Merola, mentioned in the article, might be worth a close study.

a color works in Ashland, MA

Just as an aside, this was likely a reference to a predecessor of the Nyanza Chemical Company, a huge Superfund Site. Dyes from the plant turned the various tributaries to the Sudbury River (including one called "Chemical Brook") multiple colors. Mercury release from the plant poisoned the Sudbury and rivers downstream. Fish consumption is banned to this day.

Canoe builders were frequently moving from Maine to Massachusetts in that era. Herbert C. King is shown on the left in the pictures below from the Old Town Canoe paint room around 1905. The modern picture shows how that area of the factory looked just before it was torn down. He moved to Springfield because he could get better pay painting pin stripes at the Rolls Royce factory there. The model canoe that he took with him is also shown below. This is another case of the cobbler's children going barefoot since he didn't paint any fancy designs on his own model canoe.

Benson

Attachments

• Model-5i2.jpg
    Model-5i2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 253
  • Model-5i3.jpg
    Model-5i3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Model-5i4.jpg
    Model-5i4.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Model.jpg