Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.

michaelrandrews

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Well, It was quite the learning curve. The stern tip repair and the one plank replacement (because I put my hammer through it clinching tacks) went well, striping was a messy chore, I got schooled with the Snappy Teak-Nu and my back aches from all the sanding. Now I feel I am ready to move on to my next phase. I want to thank all of you for all the support and knowledge you have given me over the past several weeks. Attached are some photos thus far.

Again, thank you,

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    496.6 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 318
One Big Problem.

You are slowing up.

How long until the next canoe?

Fitz

Micheal,

It's looking very nice, good work.

And Fitz, is right, you need to be planning on the next one. :)
It's just not right to not have any projects waiting.

Dan

linseed oil

The linseed oil made the wood darker than I expected. However I did achieve a even tone across the whole canoe, until the oil started to dry now I have found some graying areas and a very uneven tone of the wood. I am thinking I may have to start over with the snappy teak-nu again. See the attached photos and tell me what you think. The first photo is when I first applied the oil and the second two days later. I am pretty stressed out about this.

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    456 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 235
See response in your new thread. The darker, somewhat blotchy looks is a normal consequence of finish drying. It will go away with coats of varnish.

Back