Oh The Joy!

michaelrandrews

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Today is day one of striping the old varnish from the interior of my old town. I keep reminding myself of the Five P's. Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.

Elbow deep,

Michael

Tip: To remove and soften the tarnish on my diamond head bolts, I made a mix of cider vinegar and salt in a small tupperware with a piece of aluminum foil. Soak for a hour or two, works like a charm.

Task Complete

It took about sixteen hours, one hour per foot, to strip 99.5% of the varnish. There are a few stubborn spots deep inside the grain that I will still have to address. I also managed to finish the repair on the inwale tips of the stern. Next step is to reclinch about a thousand tacks.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 307
Keep it Wet.

Michael:

It is a nasty job huh?! After doing quite a bit of stripping with various chemicals, I find the methylene chloride based strippers work the best. (I can't even look at the orange stuff with the annoying citrus smell). I work outside with a respirator if need be (especially in the ends of the canoe). I spread it heavily on about 1/3 of the canoe or maybe 1/4. Let it work about half an hour. Then do the next 1/3 or 1/4 with a heavy application. While that works, scrape the first 1/3 or 1/4. Then re-apply on that 1/3 or 1/4 and scrape the next 1/3 or 1/4. Continue the procedure letting the stripper work for about 1/2 hour or so and keeping everything wet with stripper as you go. I find with some practice I could do an 18 foot canoe in 3 or 4 hours.

Your canoe looks great. Keep us posted on your progress.

Fitz.

I, for one, will not die unfulfilled in this life if I never have to strip out another old canoe. Done enough.

Back