Post script to previous serial # search

Callen

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Folks, I had posted yesterday about my dad's canoe with a number that replies had suggested was a HIN number (NJZ, etc.). Today my husband and I searched the canoe up and down to find another number and we found one. At the stern in the bottom of the boat, very faint we were able to see a number that looks like 1007 or 1067. There doesn't appear to be any additional numbers before or after this 4-digit number. I wasn't successful at attaching photos yesterday (I kept getting an error message), but I'll try to attach one of the number and one of the boat.
Thanks!
Carole

Attachments

• Old Town serial number.jpg
    Old Town serial number.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 220
Well, I think I was able to attach a picture of the serial number though you'll have to look VERY carefully to find it. Attached now are some pics of the actual boat. In yesterday's thread about the number NJZ (etc.) carved into the boat, it seems that the serial number 24422 would not match this canoe as 24422 describes an 18' canoe with a keel, and this canoe measures to just over 17' (plus 2") and has a rather flat bottom. Again, my dad doesn't recall permanently marking the other number in/on the canoe, but admits that it certainly was possible. Any suggestions on history would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• dadscanoe2.jpg
    dadscanoe2.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 218
  • dadscanoestern.jpg
    dadscanoestern.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 211
More Pics

It looks like your canoe is something other than an Old Town. Maybe a Kennebec or something else. We may need more photos of the canoe as a whole, seats, stems and other details.

In order to post photos, they each need to be less than 500 KB in size.

Cheers,

Fitz.

Hi Carole,

As Fitz said, more pictures may tell us what you have-- and at least narrow things down and give you enough information on the canoe so that it would appeal to the appropriate buyer, if you are selling it.

Your canoe doesn't appear to be an Old Town, based on the deck-style. I think I'm seeing diamond-head bolts on the gunwales, which are used to hold the thwarts and seats on Old Towns and Carletons... but if your canoe has been worked on in the past, someone could have added them if they are, in fact, present. Carleton canoes have a heart-shaped deck. Our Carleton records don't go down as low as 1007 or 1067, so we can't check a build record.

Your canoe has open gunwales, which is something else that doesn't match the Old Town record Benson checked. It's thought that open gunwales began to be used in about 1905, took a while to catch on, and were in general use in canoe construction by the early 1920s.

Pictures that would help identify your canoe include the thwarts and seats, as Fitz said, and a nice profile-shot of the bow or stern.

Welcome to the Forums!

Kathy

Kathy and Fitz, I cannot begin to thank you enough for helping me sort out the history of my dad's canoe. It's sort of funny that it's been in the family for more than 50 years and we've always thought it was an OT. I've been Googling Morris, Kennebec, Carleton and searching the info and photos of the other manufacturers as well. Plus those FABULOUS Youtube videos! Kathy, are they yours - oh, how great they at educating! I will try to get additional pics and perhaps a nice slow video going over the entire canoe. This Forum is terrific!

Kathy,
When I saw the pictures, I thought it might be a Carleton. The decks look like my Carleton decks. If they are thinned down a bit underneath near the end, that might be an indication. Diamond-head bolts would also be an indicator. But the serial number would be stamped on the stem just like an Old Town. I can't read the number that was posted in the photo, and further investigation might reveal more digits there.

Also, the hull shape doesn't look like a Carleton. No tumblehome. I can't see the curve of the bow and stem, which would also be an indication. More pictures would help a lot.

Norm

I agree with the other comments that it doesn't look like an Old Town and more pictures would help, especially ones showing the numbers on the stems from each end. The width of the caned area on the bow seat makes me think that it is probably a Kennebec. Their serial numbers in the 10x7 range were assigned to 18 1/2 foot long Maine Guide models in 1910. The picture at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6467&d=1226596047 from the thread at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=3995 shows another Kennebec from 1910.

Only some of the bolts have diamond heads so this is another indication that they were not original and added as a repair.

Benson

Last edited:
Back