Pair of Beauties!

Steve Lapey

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Here is a pair of Old Towns that just arrived, I think they are both OTCAs, one old and one newer.

Could we have the build records for 70704-17 and 170184-16?

Thanks,

Pair of Old Towns.JPG

Steve,

Old Town serial number 70704 belonged to a 17-foot CS (common sense) grade OTCA that was built in 1922 and shipped to Manchester, N.H. It had open spruce gunwales and birch decks, thwarts and seats, plus a keel and a floor rack. Its original color was dark green with an oil in Japan process that I believed help in drying, but I'm not sure.

Old Town #170184 was a 16-foot OTCA with a keel that was built in 1960. Its original color was fire red, which I'm assuming is close to what's in the picture you sent.

The scans of these records are attached below-- click on it to get a larger image. These scans and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others.

Norm

Attachments

• 170184.jpg
    170184.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 70704.jpg
    70704.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 159
Thanks, Norm, for the quick response. I'm sorry that I didn't run into you at the Asssembly, I saw your canoe but couldn't find you. Maybe our paths will cross soon at Tully Lake?

Rob: There will be no shortage of Old Town projects for next year's Assembly.

Back