Painting challenge stumper

MGC

Scrapmaker
I am painting a canoe and having some trouble tipping.
I am using a custom blended Kirby paint. I have not used Kirby before so my problem may simply be learning curve related?
I am rolling with a 4 inch foam roller and I have been following with a very good quality bristle brush. I lightly sand between coats, tack cloth and then paint. I will wet between the final coats....I plan to put 5 coats of paint on the boat. This is the way I have painted all of my other canoes.
Since I am new to using Kirby paint I am following their instruction to use the paint undiluted...I normally use a bit of Penetrol when I use other paints but in this case I am mixing it in the can, pouring it in my roller tray and applying undiluted. That is the manufacturers recommendation.

I paint in 2 foot sections and then tip with the brush. The tipping trouble begins on about the third such section. The brush starts leaving small paint blobs on the surface, most pronounced in the lift off area. They look like small specs of contamination but I have confirmed that it is paint. I can remove these by working them out with the brush but that leaves an uneven area and sort of defeats the purpose of tipping. I can "repair" my brush by painting it dry on a piece of cardboard or paper. Then I can do another section before the blobbing starts again. I am tempted to thin the paint a bit but I am really happy with the way it is going on with the roller and I am very happy with how it looks after it drys.

I am open to any suggestions or pointers....I am a decent finisher...I have never been ashamed of the paint jobs I have done. I don't have Pam Webb's mad skills but I do OK. Some of the boats I have painted look pretty darn good....but this has me stumped. I want to do the finish coats and be done with this but I have zero confidence that I can get the finish I want by tipping and I know I won't get it from the roller.. Help!:confused:

I asked my Father in Law the same question. He got out his jeweler's eye loupe that showed small cylinders of dried varnish that had come out of the brush that had thought I had thoroughly cleaned.

MGC,

My experience with Kirby's is that without thinning and Penetrol, it drags and leaves brush marks. I was thinking that the Kirby recommendations are thinning up to 10%. In addition, I add Penetrol as I go along to keep it flowing.

And, as Dan mentioned, George Kirby s very approachable.

Good luck,

Matt

Get some of Kirby's Brushing Liquid: https://kirbypaint.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_69&product_id=64

And it wouldn't hurt to call George Kirby and talk to him about it directly. He's his own best product support.

Dan

I agree....I was hoping not to wait until Tuesday to move ahead but George would certainly be quick to comment. The paint is quite thick so thinning it is certainly the first thing that comes to mind....and I am all about using the manufacturers recommended thinners even though it's bloody expensive to ship them.

Paul's comment about the cleanliness was an earlier thought...but the brush I am using is my finish brush..used only with paint, very clean...I don't want to introduce a new brush and end up adding loose bristles and other new brush debris (who you jivin with the new brush debris?). The blobules are paint....as far as I can tell.

I guess this paint job is not getting done this weekend after all...more time for goose hunting.

That link sent my Avast anti-virus into panic mode?

I've got some, if you want to make a quick hop up here - the Thousand Islands are beautiful this time of year!

Don't know anything about Avast - on my Mac, I just rely on the built-in malware and antivirus of my browser. You can tell by looking at the url that it is a simple storefront path.

I've got some, if you want to make a quick hop up here - the Thousand Islands are beautiful this time of year!

Don't know anything about Avast - on my Mac, I just rely on the built-in malware and antivirus of my browser. You can tell by looking at the url that it is a simple storefront path.

Hmpphhhh...thank you. I wish I had read my email sooner...just home from goose hunting. My wife is on the road back from Hannawa. I could have sent her through Clayton..it's just a minor diversion from there. But, by now I am guessing she's already in Mexico...

Interested in what Paul noted! I may just go ahead with a splash or two of Penetrol and see what happens.

WRT Avast...for some reason I am unable to log to Kirby's site. It's blocking access for some reason. I have never had a problem before? I'll try it on my other PC and see what happens.

I always use Penetrol with Kirby.... I mix in 3oz. per quart to start and sometimes add more.
Not sure if temp and humidity have an effect, or if it is not as consistent from can to can as other marine paints.
Lots less brush drag and better flow.

I always use Penetrol with Kirby.... I mix in 3oz. per quart to start and sometimes add more.
Not sure if temp and humidity have an effect, or if it is not as consistent from can to can as other marine paints.
Lots less brush drag and better flow.

That's what I needed to hear. Thank you. Just finished sanding and headed to Lowes for more Penetrol..my can solidified??
I like the paint but these little blobulations are vexing....

I called Kirby today. George III was not in this morning but his wife had me talk to Bill. Bill confirmed what I had suspected and agreed that Penatrol would help sort out the problem. He noted that they offer their own paint conditioner but felt that the Penatrol would do the trick. The blobulations (he said) were an indication that my paint was drying to quickly. He kindly suggested that my foam roller would not be his first choice. He recommended a high quality 1/4 or 1/8 nap cover followed by my tipping brush.

Dan...the issue with their website popping up as Malware on my Avast Anti-virus...... apparently they are aware of this. The problem has existed since they released their new site (one that I cannot get to) that apparently now includes a shopping portal. Their web developer says that it's an Avast issue but I don't see how that is entirely possible. There must be something that is causing Avast to trip.... I can access their site only on my phone...

Back