Paint problem

Don Fleischut

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I just received an Old Town Square stern boat (1930) in the shop. The owned stored it outside (right side up) over the winter. The cover failed and it filled half way with water (ice). The paint peeled off half the boat. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I do not believe it is necessary to recanvas. I would like to blend the two surfaces together. and repaint

Don,
If I'm reading your post right, the boat was stored upright. Water (ice) got in it, seeped through the planking, through the canvas, through the filler, then caused the paint to peel - Right?

If so, sounds like more than just a paint repair. IF the canvas is still sound and tight to the boat - you will probably have to at least re-fill, then paint.

How old is the canvas? Will it be ready for a canvas job in the next 10 years or so?

It might be easier to re-canvas the boat. That way you know the canvas is good, you don't have to match filler levels and don't have to match paint. May save time in the long run and make customer happy with the end result.

Just my $0.03 (inflation)

Hi Don,

We've had two canoes brought to us that had been left out, upright for a long enough time to accumulate gallons of rain water. Both canoes were on a slope near a lake so the water leveled at an angle to the canoes' waterline. Most of the area of hull that was under water, if you will, was blistered - some small and some large.

We let the canoes dry out, sanded and painted and there were no further problems. So if you don't have cracks in the filler you may be good to go with just paint.

Good luck,

Dan

Back