paint failure, shrinkage or just an age issue?

JPembleton

Chest Nut
I recently bought a new to me chestnut that is in great shape except for the canvas. Curious as to what causes the splits or cracks in the canvas shown in the picture. There are plenty of canoes out there 30 - 40 yrs old that look great but in this case the filler or paint failed.

This canoe was always stored in a garage, used only a handfull of times. Such thing as being kept too dry?

jamie

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 242
Hi Jamie,

I have a 16' Olgilvy that looks much the same as yours, if not worse. A network of deep cracks over the entire canvas. It is a very late Chestnut - as late as they get - bought at their going out of business sale. Same storage story as yours too: the gentleman who bought it used it just 5 or 6 times for brief outings and he always stored it indoors. As a result it essentially looked new when I bought it from him about 10 years ago, with bright varnish, etc, other than these cracks. He thought they were visible when he bought it. Word had it that the cracks resulted from Chestnut's practice in their latter years of business of baking the canoes to speed the drying of the filler.

I've had it out a few times and it has one small leak that is likely from one of these cracks since there were no other visible holes. I half expected it to leak like a sieve the first time I put it in the water.

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne, sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Any progress on the other 16' ogilvy you were working on?

JP

If your canoe leaks moisture will be trapped between the canvas and planking which can cause a lot of problems. Some of the problems include mould, dry rot and warped planking. I've seen a lot of canoes with cracked canvas paint/filler that the owners tried to remedy. Many paid someone else a lot of money for repairs only to have the problem re-occur in a year or two. Some were told by the seller it was a minor problem that a coat of paint would resolve. Bottom line is that the canoe needs to be recanvased. Anything else is temporary and probably a waste of time.

Hi Jamie, my son was born last spring and the past year has been a complete blur. Barely have set foot in the shop, so the other olgilvy looks just like it did when I picked it up from you. Planning to start on it this summer.
Dwayne

If your canoe leaks moisture will be trapped between the canvas and planking which can cause a lot of problems. Some of the problems include mould, dry rot and warped planking. I've seen a lot of canoes with cracked canvas paint/filler that the owners tried to remedy. Many paid someone else a lot of money for repairs only to have the problem re-occur in a year or two. Some were told by the seller it was a minor problem that a coat of paint would resolve. Bottom line is that the canoe needs to be recanvased. Anything else is temporary and probably a waste of time.

Not sure I understand this - surely water that makes it into the canoe(paddle splashes,wet boots, rain) seeps between the planks as they are not water-tight and gets "trapped between the planking and the canvas"

The paint i have used on the past few canoes i have had was a Pratt and Lambert product (Red Seal, oil w/ gloss finish). Color is called Foliage. It is not as dark as the original Chestnut Green but that doesn't matter to me. The store i purchase the paint from has just the 1 quart left, after it's gone they will no longer have any available.... oil paint based issue.

Back