Out of shape gunwales + hole on the side, proper sequence?

mtapia

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm starting the repair of this canoe with "stripping the inside", which seems to be the standard. However I need to ask for your suggestion on the next steps, because I guess it might be different when you have to deal with gunwales out of shape and "loss of material", as you will see in the pictures.

Should I go for replacing ribs next, without trying to fix the shape first? Or shape fixing, to some extent at least, would be better to start with? ...or maybe replace the broken away ribs first, then fix shape as much as possible, and next replace the other broken ribs (the ones that are still complete)?

Thanks!
mario

Attachments

• P1070901.JPG
    P1070901.JPG
    821.3 KB · Views: 295
  • P1070808.JPG
    P1070808.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 269
-- I've only filled in one hole, I straightened the inwales then added the ribs.

Hmmm, the Stem Band looks kind of heavy duty. :)

If you replace the inwales first the fair curve of the sheerline will pull back into place in most cases. Then you can deal with replacing ribs. If you do the ribs first you won't have anything to nail them to because you're going to replace the inwales anyway (or splice in significant lengths of new pieces).

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Zutefisk, you are right about "special stem bands", in ad different thread Dan Miller identified this canoe as a "Mullins" (you can take a look in http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/mullins.html):

From the Dragonfly Canoe page: "The stem bands on a Mullins are also unique. They are copper half-round (visualize a copper pipe cut in half) that flares into a square profile to fit the keel"

Pat, I will definitely follow your advice. In fact to go for the inwales first is perfectly described in the Wood and Canvas book (I should have read it more carefully to start with :) ), although it's not explicit on "holed sections" of ribs an planking it should be the right procedure, as you explained it.

Thanks!

Back