OT War Canoe

Mark Adams

all wood nut
Hi all,

Do any of you types out there that have worked on a OT war canoe know what the keelson is supposed to be made of? The canoe I have has one of spruce, but it is definitely a replacement. Also, I seem to recall having seen pics of the keelson with profiled edges?

Thanks!

I worked on a couple of 25 footers many moons ago. My recollection is that the keelsons were spruce, but beyond that, I've got nothing.

Dan

Spruce is the only wood that I have seen on war canoe keelsons. The edges usually are square with the top two slightly rounded. The ends are tapered in width from full width down to less than half. I'll measure the taper length and width and post it later today.

Mark,
I tried to attach some pics.
Gil

Attachments

• 100_3587.jpg
    100_3587.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_3588.jpg
    100_3588.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 100_3591.jpg
    100_3591.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 216
Gil, thanks! Those are a huge help!

One last question for you; Are the ends of the keelson notched to receive the stem, or do they simply butt up?

All this is in regards to the War Canoe you looked at, that I got from Ken, who got it from whoever had it when you looked at it... I have a group of friends who REALLY want me to get it into the water!

Mark,
The ends of the keelson are notched to receive the stem about 12" on each end. The overall length of the keelson is approx.20'6". Somehow, I still have a pair of new outside stems that were bought from OT for that war canoe. The owner was going to restore it---before the financial crash. If you want them, I'll send them for the shipping costs. Gil

Back