Old Town Serial number 114353

abhraxas

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Please provide the build record for Old Town Serial number 114353. This is what appears to be all 11.6 foot canoe with coaming similar to an Otca. One bow seat which appears to be original. Thank you.

Hi Benson, this is a curious case indeed. The only number that we were not sure of was the middle "3". It could have been a "2". The other numbers were certain. The number stamped in the stem could have been a "16" that they modified to 11.6 (we're guessing here). Too bad we didn't take a picture of the number to see if anything was different. We didn't verify if the bow stem was the same number. We couldn't see it. You can see from the attached pictures- this canoe is stuffed into an antique mall. It didn't appear to have been split in the middle but again the crowded surroundings made it difficult to tell. The combing on a CS would be the same shape just not in mahogany which would be for an AA. Did OT ever make an 11.6 foot canoe? The thwarts certainly did not look like an OT canoe but everything else did. Maybe it was a chop job. Some photos are attached. Thanks, John and DorothyView attachment 20083View attachment 20084View attachment 20085View attachment 20086View attachment 20087

Last edited:
The combing on a CS would be the same shape just not in mahogany which would be for an AA. Did OT ever make an 11.6 foot canoe?

Yes, the only difference between a CS and AA grade would be the type of woods and not the shape of the combing or anything else. They never listed an 11.6 foot canoe in their catalogs but would custom build almost anything for someone who was willing to pay for it. (I qualify this statement because I know that they once refused to modify some of their big motor boats for a South American country in the 1960s that wanted to use them for patrol boats. The request even included detailed instructions for where they wanted steel plates placed so they could mount the machine guns.)

Several of the other likely 114x53 build records are attached below but none of them show a short canoe. Your pictures are not attached so you may want to try that again.

Benson

Attachments

• 114953.gif
    114953.gif
    49.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 114853.gif
    114853.gif
    281.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 114653.gif
    114653.gif
    48.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 114553.gif
    114553.gif
    50 KB · Views: 149
  • 114053.gif
    114053.gif
    53.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 114253.gif
    114253.gif
    69.1 KB · Views: 173
I am not having any luck uploading the photos. Trying again.

Attachments

• OT5.JPG
    OT5.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 174
  • OT1.JPG
    OT1.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 169
  • OT2.JPG
    OT2.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 188
  • OT3.JPG
    OT3.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 181
  • OT4.JPG
    OT4.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 178
These photos work fine. It appears to have been cut in the middle since the keel screws usually alternate ribs and there are two next to each other in the center. My guess is that the rails were painted to hide the splices and the thwarts were replaced since the original ones were too long and oddly located after the middle section was removed. It would take some effort to replace the missing four feet.

Benson

Last edited:
Benson, thank goodness your eyes are sharper than ours. We didn't have a lot of time to spend examining the canoe so we took the quick pictures. I'm glad you solved the mystery. We only wanted to explore the canoe's history since it was such an odd size. The asking price is $2500 so we had no plans to adopt or restore it. If anyone on the forum is interested in purchasing it, we will be glad to provide the exact location. If it it still there next time we visit that way, we will look more closely at the way in which it was cut down. Thanks!

Back