Old Town Record Please?

Jimbo

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hello There,

I was hoping to get some info on Old Town 16 footer #116588. It is listed on Ebay near my home in PA...Thanks so much, I will forward the info to the seller.

Jimbo

Say Hello to June-Joy!

Hi Jimbo-- Just sent the seller the scan, with the following information (sometimes I poke at eBay sellers, as a form of "outreach" for the WCHA):

Old Town 116588 is a 16 foot AA grade (top grade) HW (heavy water, or lake boat) model canoe, built between November of 1935 and June 1936. It has open mahogany gunwales and mahogany decks, thwarts, and seat frames. It was fitted with a keel, a floor rack, and sponsons. Original color was orange, with "June-Joy" painted in black on the right and left bow. I wonder if the family had girls named June and Joy, or if this canoe was a joy to them, arriving in June, as it was shipped to Paterson, NJ, on June 29, 1936.

The scan of this record is attached. This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that your canoe's buyer will join or renew membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

If your buyer is interested, more information on the Old Town Company can be found in Sue Audette's book, "Old Town, Our First Hundred Years", which is available through the WCHA store and most booksellers, eBay, Amazon, and public libraries.

Best of luck with your sale!
Kathy

Attachments

• OT 116588.jpg
    OT 116588.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 226
June-Joy has changed a bit!

Thanks so much Kathyrn,

Didn't mean to overstep my bounds there, I was just trying to help out a fellow "coal cracker" from Northeast PA....by the way...we say "yous" just like "yous" in the UP! Anyway, if that's the right boat, it has lost the sponsons, floor rack, open gunwales, and mahogony seats.

Go Penn State! :D

Jimbo

You didn't overstep any bounds! I like that you brought this up, as there was already a thread for me to leave the information in for alla yous.

As to the discrepancies in the canoe: it's always a good idea to check both stems and consider other-number-possibilities if the record doesn't seem to fit. But in this case, it may be the correct record for this canoe.

The canoe has carry thwarts which were commonly placed on sponson canoes. Check for traces of the holes in ribs on the sides of the canoe where sponsons would have been screwed in.

Missing floor racks are a common thing, as are seat-replacements (some people prefer to put in a whole new seat than to re-cane the old one).

And I was confused as to whether this canoe had open or closed gunwales, when I first looked at picture #6. Open on the left, closed on the right... hmmmm. Maybe someone shaved the tops of the ribs so much that the wales came together?

Anyway, these mysteries can be fun to sort out and discuss.

Kathy

June -Joy

Yes, a great canoe for getting a quick education! The photos indeed show the sponson holes...as well as two butt joints in the gunwales that explain the apparent open and closed gunwales where someone probably installed rabbeted or other type of honest attempt at gunwale sections. Thanks Again!

E-Bay canoe

The photos of the gunwales on the listed boat resemble a 1960's era canoe I just acquired. It had been glassed and when the outwales were put back on they were raised so that the upper lip of the rabbet went over the end of the ribs. There is a very small strip of rib showing between the wales. The appearance is of a stepped closed gunwale. Very strange but so is fibre-glass.

R.C.

Back