Old Town Motor Canoe

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
I'm working on a 1925 Old Town Motor Canoe. I have the build record....87888 20.
I can read all but an obscure note above the notation of the copper air tanks and below the Yale Blue notation.
I tried to manipulate it to be able to see the note, but have been unsuccessful.
Anybody have a guess as to what it says??

This build record is attached. My guess is that the mystery line describes a stripe with turned down ends. Can you attach some pictures of it now. There is no mention of a motor that I can find on the build record. I'll see if I can get a better copy.

Benson

Attachments

• 87888.gif
    87888.gif
    46.6 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
More pics.
Glass is off. Proceeding with restoration. Sorry about the upside down photo that shows the copper air tank...not sure of the remedy.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

My previous guess was wrong as shown below. It says a "Gold stripe with Greek ends" like the one shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/designs/design17.gif which was later known as the design number 17. Old Town became a distributor of Johnson outboard motors in 1923 (according to page 67 in Sue Audette's book) so it isn't likely that they would have installed an Evinrude inboard in 1925. Have you been able to date the engine yet? It is probably much older than the canoe. This canoe may have been custom ordered with that engine in mind.

Benson

Attachments

• 87888.jpg
    87888.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 213
Thanks for pulling a better copy of the record..!
The owner is taking care of the motor, etc. not sure if he has dated it.
Who does work on these old timers??

Back