Old Town double gunwale

Chuck Hoffhine

Wooden Canoe Nut
I recently acquired Old Town number 6668 16, a 1908 double gunwale Charles River that was previously discussed in these forums. Both ends have an 'arrow head' deck repair which looks to have been done some time ago and was done quite well even matching the mahogany. The tip of the arrow head was made thick enough probably to compensate for the rotted stem. My question is, is the deck, stem, gunwale configuration on this old of an Old Town and that of a double gunwale the same as was typically used on later Old Towns and if not how is it put together?

Thanks.

-Chuck

Hi Chuck--

I can't answer your question, but found a nice discussion of double gunwale in our archives:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=3823&highlight=double+gunwale

That probably doesn't give you a complete answer, but may be a start.

I find the double gunwale construction very interesting-- the early builders seemed to experiment with ways to make gunwales attractive, yet strong. The images posted by Michael Grace in the link above, showing the gunwale-treatment in the area of the deck, with the open gunwale segueing to a double-gunwale-appearance, is a beautiful example of the woodworking skills displayed in these early canoes.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy. I did see that and that's all I could find. I should hope to shout if my canoe will look as good as Thirsty's or Benson's.

-Chuck

Chuck,
Thanks for the compliment. I wish I could answer your question, but the tips/ends of the 1909 were rotten. We had no reason to believe the inwale, deck, and stem of the double gunnel, came together any differently than open gunnel cofiguration or later years. The decks and inwales were typical OT design and spec., only difference was the raised/offset inwale to the ribs in order to accommodate the rabbeted outwale. Now that I have been of no help, let me know if I can help. We have what is left of the original gunnels and could provide pics & specs if your not sure yours are the original. Have fun!
Dave & Peggy Davidson

Kathy, thanks for your compliment as well this last Christmas greeting.

Attachments

• 1909 Old Town 066.jpg
    1909 Old Town 066.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 235
My question is, is the deck, stem, gunwale configuration on this old of an Old Town and that of a double gunwale the same as was typically used on later Old Towns and if not how is it put together?

I have not had the canvas and outside rails off from my double gunwale to verify but I believe that the stem simply butts against the bottom of the deck in the same way that later Old Town canoes were constructed as Dave mentioned. Eric Beeby's pictures at http://www.canoehullabaloo.com/beeby-canoe/intro.html document this well for an example from 1929. There are also ones with two small nails running diagonally through the edges of the deck into the end of the stem to help hold everything in place.

Benson

Last edited:
Back