Old Town Closed Gunwales

Roger Pellett

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am repainting an Old Town Closed Gunnel Canoe that I restored several years ago. When I got the canoe, the cap on the rail that covers the rib tops
was attached with small brass screws on a zig zAG pattern. I put the new rail cap on the same way. Someone questioned the use of screws when he saw the canoe. How dide Old Town originally attach this rail cap? Was It nailed?

I have been doing some work on a 1919 OT HW. It is closed gunnel, and the rail caps were attached using 3/4 inch escuthcheon pins. As far as I know, that was pretty standard for OT at the time, but maybe someone else can be more definitive on that.

I have been doing some work on a 1919 OT HW. It is closed gunwale, and the rail caps were attached using 3/4 inch escuthcheon pins. As far as I know, that was pretty standard for OT at the time, but maybe someone else can be more definitive on that.

cap rail attachment

Two years ago I replaced the cap rails on my 1906 HW and I pulled off the original cap rails. They were not put on with screws. The canoe had been in my family since new so I have a pretty good idea that they were original. Good luck.

Back