Old Town Canoe Literature

pklonowski

Unrepentant Canoeist
Last night, I came into possession of some Old Town Canoe catalogs, dating from 1998 (100th Anniversary), 1995, 1990, 1989, and 1950, all of which are in near mint condition. These were stored in a filing cabinet by the previous owner, so they had little exposure to light of any sort, and there's no evidence of them having been wet. Also some miscellaneous flyers, and a 1939 edition of the Boy Scouts Canoeing Merit Badge booklet.

On the inside back cover of the 1950 catalog, it has 9 Color Designs pictured (45, 46, 10, 4, 39, 32, 37, 47, & 43). I assume these are known form other sources?

Would there be any interest in having these scanned to PDF docs, so they could be available for others to enjoy?

Hi Paul,

Benson and I had the same idea years ago... with the permission of Old Town Canoe Company, the result was "The Complete Old Town Canoe Company Catalog Collection" which is available through the WCHA store. While not in PDF format, all of those catalogs are represented, some in their entirety, a couple with just the wood canoe relevant bits. You may want to check with OTCC regarding copyright issues before proceeding...

All of the Old Town color designs are on the WCHA site at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/designs/index.html

Cheers,
Dan

Would there be any interest in having these scanned to PDF docs, so they could be available for others to enjoy?

I have already converted the first 36 years of Old Town catalogs to PDF files from the scans on the CD and created a master index similar to the one that comes with the scanned Wooden Canoe Journal DVD. This was useful to search all of the early Old Town catalogs for things like the XX model and other obscure references. The interface that Dan created for the catalog CDs is much easier to use so I haven't done much else with these PDF files.

The numbered Old Town color designs are also documented in a poster that is available from the store at http://store.wcha.org/product.php?productid=17594&cat=248&page=1 and was included in the Wooden Canoe Journal issue number 128 from April of 2005.

Is there anything else interesting in the "miscellaneous flyers" that you found?

Benson

Can't tell you how glad I am that this is already done! The more I thought about it, the more time-consuming it seemed to be. The "other" flyers are dealer listings, price lists, handouts for the Otter and Dimension plastic rec 'yaks, a handout describing Polylink 3 structure, and a 1998 handout for 100th anniversary collector's items. Let me know if there's anything of interest...

It doesn't sound like your "miscellaneous flyers" contain anything that would be of great interest to people focused on wooden canoes but thanks for checking. The Old Town CD contains over 3200 original images and the scanning alone took a few minutes per image. Projects like this often require hundreds of hours of work. Let us know if you find anything else of interest. Thanks,

Benson

Back