Old Town at Ralph's

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Attached is the build record for the Old Town sponson canoe in Ralph Frese's larger storage space. It had a bob stay and I'll attach a picture of that too.

Ralph's canoe, serial number 110624, is a 17 foot CS ("common sense") grade HW model canoe, finished between 1931 and 1933. It has red Western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, and oak decks, thwarts, and seat frames. It was fitted with sponsons and a keel and has a bob stay. The canoe was shipped January 2, 1934 to Von [something] and Antonio in Chicago. Paint color was green and a second color I can't make out... if anyone can, I'd be interested to know!

Kathy

Attachments

• ot110624.jpg
    ot110624.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Chicagoland and more 034.jpg
    Chicagoland and more 034.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 471
color

I suspect that the color line on the build record reads "green & sample" -- maybe this was a custom paint job with part of the paint scheme matching a sample provided by the buyer?

Greg Nolan said:
I suspect that the color line on the build record reads "green & sample" --

"green to sample" - or in other words, the customer supplied the specific shade of green they wanted their canoe painted.

Dan

Ralph's...

Off topic - did he sell the place yet? I know it's been listed for a while, and I REALLY, REALLY hope he finds a buyer interested in keeping the Chicagoland Canoe Base going - it's an important place for canoeing and kayaking in Chicago...I mentioned the "Ralph C. Frese Canoe Trail" in my book on the Chicago River to keep the recognition of his impact on river recovery / ecology / and recreation going - hope the name keeps showing up on maps in the future...

I requested a build record some time ago for an 1911 18' IF. The canoe was sold by Von Lengerke & Antoine, 33 So. Wabash Ave. Chicago.

R.C.

Back