Old Town 15' 50# - Help with dimensions???

H.E. Pennypacker

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Could someone please help me with beam of an Old Town 15' 50# model from the '50s? I simply need beam measurements (inside the gunwales) at the thwart and seats to correct a problem on a canoe. Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

I happen to be in Maine this weekend, so I can help with measurements just taken from two 50 # models built in the ‘thirties, but as far as I know, the same building form was used all along. One was built in 1931, the other in 1934; both are CS grade.

The measurements, in inches, were taken between the inside faces of the inwales, across the centerline of various pieces, as determined by the location of the mounting bolts.

bow seat
front rail -- 25 1/16
back rail -- 27 1/16

thwart
31 5/16

stern seat
front rail -- 18 3/16
back rail -- 13 7/16

bow seat
front rail -- 25 1/4
back rail -- 27 7/8

thwart
31 11/16

stern seat
front rail -- 18 1/4
back rail -- 13 7/16

In both canoes, the front rail of the stern seat is bolted directly to the inwale and the back rail is hung down with a short spacer.

In the 1934 canoe, the front seat is bolted to the inwales directly at all four points; in the 1931 canoe, the front seat is hung with spacers all around. When I got the 1931 canoe, the inwales had spread a bit at the bow seat and the spacer dowels were splayed out a bit, but when the seat was rehung after recanting and refinishing, the inwales were pulled in a bit and the seat spacers are pretty much plumb now.

The original thwart in the 1931 canoe has been replaced with a portage thwart, but I still have the original, and the measurement was taken from the obvious varnish shadows on the original.

I don’t know that it matters, but the inwales on the 1934 canoe are 13/16” wide across the top, while on the 1931, canoe, they are 5/8”. The 1934 canoe was originally sold to a summer camp, so maybe OT installed somewhat sturdier inwales?

Hope these measurements help.

Greg

Thanks very much Greg! This is perfect. Very helpful. With these dimensions I'll be able to get the canoe back in shape. Much appreciated.

Back