Old Town 120347 build record request

chassegalerie

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello WCHA,

How fine to have access to these old records! I recently inherited OT 120347 15, my first canoe. My first boat, in fact. Years ago in MN a historical re-enactor visited my 6th grade classroom as a voyageur, and taking my small daughters out in the canoe last week has vividly rekindled that fascination and romance.

The boat also bears a decal from Armstrong & Galbraith, which I gather was a dealer in NY. I haven't found out much on that company, so would appreciate any info on its history.

Thank you, in advance, for the serial number lookup!

Best regards,
Jason in southern VT

The Old Town canoe with serial number 120347 is shown as 15 feet long, CS (common sense or standard) grade, a 50 pound model with open spruce gunwales, oak decks, thwarts, and seats, and equipped with a keel. The canoe was built between January and April 1937. The original exterior paint was brilliant green. It was shipped to Armstrong & Galbraith, Inc., 79 Barclay St., New York, New York on April13, 1937. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link behind the thumbnail images attached below.

120347 - OT20615A.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe.

According to an article/directory in the October 1929 "Motor Boating -- The Yachtmen's Magazine," Armstrong and Galbraith were dealers in Mullins Outboard Boats and Evinrude motors -- the only information I could find on them on a quick search. The address, 79 Barclay St., in lower Manhattan, just a block or two north of the World Trade Center, is now occupied by an anonymous office building with no charm or distinction, probably built in the 1960's or thereabouts, with no entrance on Barclay St.

Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Greg

Excellent, thank you Greg! The green shows through the current blue paint, and this record does appear to be a match. My late father-in-law lived in NYC and I suspect he was the original owner.

I think the notes next to Keel and Railed are Grant and Chaloux respectively, do you think those are the names of the workmen?

I made a donation to this forum, and will become a WCHA member. Thanks again!

Jason

Jason

Yes, those are the names of the men who did that particular task. Some of the work at Old Town was paid for on a piece-work basis, and this is how the work was credited to the right person.

Thank you for your donation, and welcome to the WCHA. I think you will enjoy our journal, Wooden Canoe -- and you might consider coming over to the Assembly -- July 15-20 not so far from southern Vermont at Paul Smith's College on Lower St. Regis Lake. See: http://wcha.org/assembly/2014-Assembly-Program-Descriptions.pdf

As you have experienced, you do not have to be a re-enactor to participate in the pleasure of canoeing -- this history and romance are certainly part of it -- but so is the direct contact with the water and wind and outdoors, with family, with friends, or alone -- the same contact had by the voyageurs, the lumbermen, the guides and sports, the pleasure paddlers -- all of us share that.

Greg

Last edited:
OK that explains why not all the construction phases had names recorded.

I never was in a canoe till my first short paddle in a rented aluminum one several years ago—so I'm green as a landlubber can be. But I'm hooked, and fortunate to live near several suitable bodies of water. I'm glad my kids will grow up with it.

I can't make it to the assembly this year, but it looks wonderful!

I'll suggest taking a canoeing lesson somewhere in your area -- check with forest preserves, park districts, or canoe shops. You'll learn a lot, and you'll enjoy your time in the boat more.

Thanks for the pointer, Paul. I've done some reading up, and am well versed in general water safety. Instruction on good rowing, swamp recovery, etc. would certainly be worthwhile, and I'll seek it out.

Jason

Hello Jason. I'm in White River Jct. If you're near, we could meet up for a paddle. Not usually up this time of night but the puppy called to go out. Welcome to WCHA.

Thank you for the kind offer Jon. WRJ isn't terribly far from Wilmington. I don't have a trailer and would prefer not to move the boat more than necessary. I did just secure space at a boathouse on Lake Whitingham. I think there are a number of sporting outfits that give lessons on that lake, but depending on how I fare I may just take you up on it.

Cheers,
Jason

Back