Old Town 10 Footer

Andy Hutyera

The Red Canoe Guy - Life Member
Please post build record for #138852. There also appears to be a -11 after the number.

Thanks!

Can you take another look at each digit of the serial numbers and let me know which one is the least clear or post some pictures of the numbers from each end? You probably have an 11 foot long fifty pound or trapper model but there isn't one of these in the 3335x, 3385x, 3835x, 3885x, 8335x, 8385x, 8835x, 8885x, 13335x, 13385x, 13835x, 13885x, 18335x, 18385x, 18835x, or 18885x ranges of build records. This model was introduced in the 1926 catalog so it isn't likely to have a serial number below these ranges. Let me know what you find. Thanks,

Benson

Last edited:
Benson,

Thanks for the quick answer. The owner is supposed to bring it over this Sat. so I can get a look at it and assess what it will take to put it back in shape. Assuming he shows up, I'll get some pics and take a closer look at the SN.

Last edited:
My guess is that you will be looking at the Old Town canoe with serial number 138822. This is an 11 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, fifty pound model with open spruce gunwales, ash decks, ash thwarts, a keel, outside stems, thwarts in place of seats, and a rubber bang plates. It was built between November and December, 1943. It shipped on December 20th, 1943 to Akron, Ohio.

A scan showing this build record can be found by following the link at the thumbnail image attached below. This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 138822.gif
    138822.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 170
rubber bumpers

"Rubber bang plates? Didn't know OT did that."

I see that this 11’ OT 50 pounder canoe that was shipped with “rubber bang plates” also had outside stems, and was shipped to the Health Ed. Dept. of a YMCA.

My 15’ OT 50 pounder with outside stems was shipped to the Division of Physical Education, College of Agriculture, c/o Ga. State College of Agriculture, Athens, Ga. and it had “rubber bumpers on O.S.S.”

It seems that canoes shipped to phys. ed. programs could be given some sort of rubber protection.

My 1931 canoe seems to be in mostly original condition – even the original canvas, I think. But there are no rubber bumpers, and I don’t see any extra holes or other evidence of something being mounted to the stems other than the outside stems and what seem to be original standard brass bang plates.

Andy -- does your canoe have regular brass bang plates? Are there rubber bang plates or any sign of something unusual?

Here’s my build record, and a photo of one of my canoe’s stems when I picked it up.

history OT 107043.gif sm 100_2538.jpg

I have no idea what a rubber bumper, or a rubber bang plate, would look like or how it would be affixed, and would welcome any pictures or thoughts.

I wonder if rubber bumpers were put on canoes that were going to be used in swimming pools? This would be more protective than hard bang plates. Just speculating...

Assuming this canoe shows up this weekend, I'll get some photos and post them. The owner had some information to the effect that the canoe was used in the YWCA swimming pool. That seems to fit with Paul's conjecture. Hopefully we can see if there are any clues as to the attachment of the rubber bang plates.

Back