Old cedar canvas canoe - Serial 1198 1449

SeanDouglas

My canoe is not in too bad shape, it has a metal (ugly) patch, but is otherwise OK
I am considering selling, or refinishing and selling it.

Canvas is not too bad, but could be redone....
Anyways, I think it is a Perterborough - but the dimentins dont quite match

http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/id/peterborough.html

It does have robertson screws - so it is likely canadian made. I can find no other markings on it though.

Any ideas?

Peterborough model 1449 is their Litelift model. It is probably comparable to Chestnut's 50-lb special (Bob's Special). Catalog dimensions are only a guideline - depending on what year you look at, the beam for model 1449 is 33" or 37".

If you are thinking of selling, best to do it as is. You are not likely to recoup the cost of restoration, and many of us prefer to do our own work.

Thanks,

I was a bit hung up on the dimensions.
I figured fixing it then selling it would be a losing proposition.

It currently does float, only minor leakage.
It is structurally sound. What would be a reasonable asking price.

I realy want it out of my garage, but I dont want to give it a way if it is worth $2K as is and $4K restored.
I know this is not a lot of detail, but any advice would be great.

Thanks

Read the post about canoe value.

Last year I paid 450 for a restorable (but paddleable) Chestnut, when done it will be worth about 1500.

Dan

Canoe Value

Thanks for the info.
I did get an old Cedar canoe and fixed it up, I know I will never get out of it what I put in it.
The cedar is from the '70s so not too old.

I was just curious about the wood canvas canoe, I mainly didn't want to give away a #1 Spiderman comic if I had one.

I will advertize (Edmonton) and hopefully it will go to a good home where someone will love it.
I need a freighter to put my wife and two kids and other gear like lawn chairs in, and my single garage with two canoes and multiple bikes and golfclubs , skis, roof racks etc etc, does not have the space

Some of us no longer have a "garage" -- we have come to terms with our obsession and acknowledge that we have a "boathouse." The car seems perfectly happy to be parked in the driveway in front of the boathouse.

I am continually impressed how my two cars in the driveway have adapted. They have lost their berths in the garage and have never leaked nor complained, always start in the morning, and seem to grin a bit when I put the roof racks on. I am so glad the garage came with the home.

Back