Old articles from Outing online

D_Sabine

Procrastinator
I was searching online and stumbled on a source of scanned pdfs of all of the old Outing Magazine articles from the late 1800s through 1905. Lots of articles there that may be of interest on a snowy day, including many regional canoeing stories (e.g. Canoeing on the Concord and Merrimac (J.N. Drake 1893), Canoeing Down the Penobscot (W.A. Brooks 1899), Canoeing on the Miramichi (W.C. Gaynor 1891). Also stuff like The Building of a Birch Canoe (Tappan Adney 1900), History of American Canoeing (C.B. Vaux 1887), Aboriginal American Canoes (O.T. Mason 1904), and Canoe Building for Amateurs: How to Build a Cheap Canoe (H.J. Van Alstine 1891), etc.

The search function accesses a large number of newsletters and such, so make sure you click the “periodicals” tab and select “Outing”; otherwise a search of the keyword “canoe” will return no end of race results from various sources.

http://www.aafla.org/5va/outing_frmst.htm

Dwayne

Thanks for the pointer, Dwayne. Just the thing for a day when I'm stuck inside watching it snow. I'm reading the 1899 article on the trip down the West Branch of the Penobscot, a river I've been on. Great to read about it from over 100 years ago.

Charlie

Good stuff thanks
Outing I believe was the periodical that Hubbard wrote for and I think also sponsored Wallace to go back to Labrador and finish the trip that they started but Hubbard starved to death in 1903

The search function accesses a large number of newsletters and such, so make sure you click the “periodicals” tab and select “Outing”; otherwise a search of the keyword “canoe” will return no end of race results from various sources.
I tried this and searched Hubbards name quite a few articles by him.Going to take a while.There is some information on the Detroit Canoe club and quite a few pictures of canoes in the article Paddle your own canoe
A big Thank you Dwayne.
Dan'l

Hey Dwayne good score! There is an article by Tappen Adney with some great drawings by him. It was the last article listed when I went to the search for Outing - canoe. There just loads of good readingin the whole list! Thanks!! Denis:D

Back