New pfds. Any suggestions?

Larry Meyer

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I am looking for new pfds and not happy with what I have seen. What I have used for 15 years or so is SEDAs, once touted by Boundary Waters Catalogue. I think the Conovers used them when they were guiding. I have been happy with them, but I am getting a little heftier. Everything out there now seems to be for kayakers.
There seem to be half dozen or so super guide pfds, starting well above $200. BWC is now featuring MTI Javas.
Any suggestions?

Try on as many different ones as you can. Not all body types work in all PFDs. The ones I like may not work for you, and vice versa! Go to a REAL canoe/kayak store, as they'll have a greater variety to look at. Don't rule out the kayak types; they work for canoeists as well.

The more expensive ones tend to have more "features," like tie-on points, pockets, etc, but also have better-quality zippers, fabric, etc. I wear out cheap ones so fast that it's cheaper for me in the long run to spend more on a mid-range model, than to skimp on the cheapies. Your mileage may vary.

My apologies if I muddied up the waters, but the available options are bewildering. I do believe the right PFD is out there for you... it just may take some looking. Take the time to poke around; you'll be glad you did.

Hi Larry
My wife and I got our PFDs from Cabela's. Look under boating and fishing.
They have large arm holes a mesh top and large pockets. We find them comfortable and the price is very good.
Good luck
Brad C

Back