Morris stems

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I will be replacing the top 3 to 4 inches of the stem on my Morris and i heard that they are a softwood. Would this be white cedar like the ribs or something else? Thanks.

White Cedar, I'm told.....

Yes....hence the rivets.
It's interesting actually......how often do you see a rotted Morris stem?
Almost never (except the standard tip rot from moronic storage).
Conversely Rushton's Elm stems are often rotten. He was on to something.

My Morris stems were trash and had considerable rot. It seems like a pain to replace them but it wasn't that bad. Building the jig to bend them, then shaping them take time. I have a video of my process I can stick on you tube if anyone is needing info on replacing them. I always felt they would be a pain and just not much information on replacing them.

The video is pretty vague. I deemed it not that useful.
A couple pictures. I made the jig from the rotted stem, it was a little off, wasn't until I pulled the rear one that I had a better idea. You do end up taking lots of material off, and it does spring back some, but it goes where you want it. Just make sure you have the planking to see where it goes. I can send anyone a template of the shape. Ask Kathryn if stems differed on years etc.

bow stem.JPGmorris jig.jpg

Last edited:
The video is pretty vague. I deemed it not that useful.
A couple pictures. I made the jig from the rotted stem, it was a little off, wasn't until I pulled the rear one that I had a better idea. You do end up taking lots of material off, and it does spring back some, but it goes where you want it. Just make sure you have the planking to see where it goes. I can send anyone a template of the shape. Ask Kathryn if stems differed on years etc.

View attachment 23610View attachment 23611

Boy, I'm glad I have only the tops to replace, that looks like a lot of work!

Thanks for reminding me. I still have to splice the rails. You might have to as well.

Anyone have a picture of how morris rails come together under the trim at the tips?

Last edited:
I have a Morris stem in my hand as I type this, it looks and feels like white cedar.
There is no rot on it, it was probably replaced due to cracking from the tacks/nails pounded into it. (I didn't replace it.)

Dan

Back