Morris Open Wale Thwarts

Scott Rowe

Random Adventurer
As I replace ribs and my hull should become more fair, I'm concerned about past repairs and their effects on the hull shape. Example; the bow seat frame has been remounted and the newer frame holes (no new holes on the inwales) actually pinch in the hull a bit (1/2 to 3/4 inch).
I also noticed that when I removed the thwarts to put in temporary supports, the inwales (outwales of course removed) took on a much MORE fair curve. This of course lead me to examine the thwarts. They look to be original (according to others with experience) and only have one set of mounting holes. The thwart ends extend past the inwale edge to almost meet the sheer planking. This does seem to pull in or pinch the hull creating an irregular curvature i.e. less fair.

Question; Should my open wale Morris thwarts extend past the inwale and nearly meet the sheer plank?

Question; What is a good source of dimensions for my 17'4" Model A 1915ish Morris (openwale)? The extreme measurement of the thwarts is initially what I'd like to know.

Another one; The inwales don't seem substantial, is it possible that the irregular curves are a result of new ribs stressing on the old inwale and once the outwale is reinstalled the fairness will return.

Again...thanks for any advice.

note: one thwart does have Old Town bolts so I know that thwart has been removed for whatever reason.

Question; Should my open wale Morris thwarts extend past the inwale and nearly meet the sheer plank?

Answer: Coincidentally while I was hanging canoes on Sunday I happened to be looking at the same detail on my closed gunwale canoe. The thwarts do not reach past the rail. My canoe is not spread so I presume this is correct.

Question; What is a good source of dimensions for my 17'4" Model A 1915ish Morris (openwale)? The extreme measurement of the thwarts is initially what I'd like to know.

Answer: I'd say that this does not matter. The thwarts on your canoe are original.
There did not seem to be much (if any) spread on your boat. Just put it back together so that the lines are not tweaked. The lines were pretty good at the rails.

Another one; The inwales don't seem substantial, is it possible that the irregular curves are a result of new ribs stressing on the old inwale and once the outwale is reinstalled the fairness will return.

Answer: If you have the seats and thwarts out and are not holding the form you will certainly affect the lines. You need to keep it from spreading. Those inside rails are quite elegant looking but not half the size of the outside rails. Remember, when the boat was built those rails were held in place by the form while the ribs were bent and nailed.

Answer: Coincidentally while I was hanging canoes on Sunday I happened to be looking at the same detail on my closed gunwale canoe. The thwarts do not reach past the rail. My canoe is not spread so I presume this is correct.

Mike thanks for replying to all my questions. My thwarts extend past the inwale nearly to the sheer planking. I wasn't sure it was right so I thought if I had dimensions I could put things back to spec. But to your point making things fair is what really matters.

It was after I took the seats out (outwales removed) that things looked less fair. I removed the thwarts and with the additional spread fairness returned. It looks like the seat frames were holding the shape of the wales. Once I get some more ribs in I'll snug things back up. I'm up to eleven ribs so far with a least four to go. PS no luck on finding more to this canoes story.

Thanks again.

Back