Morris on ebay

it's in the database now!

Wrote the seller-- I was probably one of many who noticed the typo "1800"-- or perhaps it wasn't a typo, as it was stated twice. Bert Morris wasn't born for a few decades!

This eBay canoe looks very nice... couldn't tell for sure if it has outside stems. A Morris "type 3" has long decks and outside stems, so perhaps it does-- if the seller assessed it enough to determine it's a type 3, there may be outside stems under paint or canvas.

It has many of the features of a Molitor livery canoe, but appears to have two 24" decks instead of one 36" and one 24"... I'm not saying it could be a livery canoe-- just saying it's all tricked-out in a similar manner. Interesting that Morris canoes began as fishing/hunting craft and, toward the end of production, had morphed into courting canoes. The Morris lent itself easily to the purposes for which canoes were used; as those purposes changed over time, the canoe changed-- but not drastically.

This one on eBay has the fancy special outwales and special ends (torpedo ends).

Seller may be a bit optimistic regarding the price. Wish I could send him what Benson says about canoe "value" in the FAQ section of these forums...

Kathy

Kathy,
I have read that some early Morris canoes had White Oak stems, and that replacing the thick cedar stems can be a pain. If that has an outer stem, what would it be? Oak with an inner stem of oak or other combinations of wood? Are the inner oak stems still splayed? And how is it to re canvas an old morris with a cedar stem? When you tack canvas in do the nails hold? For the money I'd like to spend it would need some work so I always have these fears of stem condition.

Jeff

After inquiring about the 1800 date, the length, and the serial number, I got this response from the seller: "yes we are most likely off on the dates, it was apprasied [sic] by a gentleman from Maine who builds reproductions, it is 18Ft, we can not find a serial number but the canoe was restored abort [sic]15 years ago . . .." He also said he was selling it for his father, who might know more, and offered to give contact information. If someone is actually interested in buying, I would think they would pursue that offer.

Though the listing describes the canoe as a Type 3, the "outside oak stems" that the 1917 catalogue describes as the feature differentiating a Type 3 from a Type 2 are not apparent. Possibly present but covered over in the recanvassing?? Only the Shadow knows!

Jeff, I am attaching a copy of the relevant page from the 1917 catalogue, which describes the types and the usual stem construction at that time. The 1910 catalogue states that all hull woodwork is cedar, and also says that the Type 3 has oak outside stems.

Attachments

• PAGE-09.GIF
    PAGE-09.GIF
    153.7 KB · Views: 253
Thanks Nolan, That canoe is clearly out of my price range. I do hope to get a Morris some day. So I'll have to shop around.

I've also been communicating with the sellers, trying to have them post a pic of the inner stem, just to be sure, after 3 trys, I still haven't seen one. :)

But they now have posted the S/N, 16875, so they must have found a/the plack.

Kathy, I did send the seller a link to Benson's value write up.

Dan
who also thinks it's a bit overpriced.

Last edited:
Back