Molitor or not?

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
:confused: Was riding around the Laconia NH area yesterday and stopped at an old antique store because I spotted a Stowe on the deck...I went inside and saw an old W/C on top of a big cabinet just sitting up there...They got me a step ladder and I tried to see the inside condition...It looks like the OT Molitor in that swept back stem...BUT when looking at it, the decks were gone and the inwale graduates to a section that gets wider as it goes to the stem (From about 1" to about 3-4" as it proceeds to the stem)...no seats but two thwarts....It was to precarious to try to look further inside but I think it might become available.....Anyone have any ideas on if it is an OT or some some other make????? cant give much more of a description as the step ladder was shaky and I didnt want everything including me to come crashing down:eek: Thanks in advance

Most of the old canoes that look like a modern Old Town Molitor model turn out to be from one of the Charles River builders, especially if they have wide thwarts instead of seats. Check the ends of the thwarts to see if they have a stamp from "J. R. Robertson, Auburndale, Mass." like the one shown below.

Benson

Attachments

• thwart.jpg
    thwart.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 486
Thanks for the answers....It is set up almost to the ceiling in this clustered antique store and I doubt if I could even get above it enuf to look inside without everything around me including the canoe to come crashing down...It is way to old to be an acutal Molitor and I think it really is one of those Charles RIver makers...the only "hint" at the maker was that thick piece of inwale extending up to the stem. The decks were missing and you could see where they had been...about 20+ inches long....As Benson Gray suggested, there were no seats nor could I see where some had been..Just two thwarts. If I get the chance I will stop by when those 2 young guys are working, I dont think the proprietors would be as helpful in seeing it...They were genuinely interested in my curiosity....Would be an interesting restoration as it is a real collectors antique even as is.

Just don't act too curious. As soon as someone with a lot of old "stuff" senses they might have something valuable, they're not nearly as good negotiators.

I speak from experience... I've sold lots of my grandmother's antiques at garage sales and such. If there were a diamond in the bunch, it's really my responsibility to jump on eBay and figure it out, right?! ;)

Thanks for the advice!.....My last name is TUCKER !!!!! It NEVER did begin with an "S" :D JUST KIDDING but thanks

I think I saw that canoe a couple years ago...is the store between Laconia and Tilton? There's a stove shop there as well? If it's the same one, I remember it was in pretty bad shape...good luck!

:D HI NEIGHBOR!...Its the one that used to have the saw mill just before the snowmobile parts place (Jack WIlleys) and the pawn shop. Your right, it does need total restoration and I am now convinced it is one of those old Charles River Canoes from someone down in the Mass. area...Would make a great restoration project..From what I saw the inside is whole except for the decks

Back