Massachusetts Does it Again

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
I'm just getting up to speed on the latest nonsense:

So far only kayaks are mentioned....

Section 1. Notwithstanding any general or special law, rule, or regulation to the contrary, any person who operates a kayak within the navigable waters of the Commonwealth shall have, install, and display a high visibility orange flag on a pole at a height of 6 feet above the waterline.

Section 2. Any kayak operated in navigable waters from sunset to sunrise shall display a revolving yellow stern light that is visible for 360 degrees.

This is all I know so far about the proposed legislation. I will try and get more information.

Fitz.

Wow,

Now I feel for you guys, and maybe have a bit more understanding of where you're coming from.

This is ridiculous.

Dan

I do hope that is a joke.
It should be lot's of fun rolling a boat with six foot antenna mounted to it.
I suppose they will also mandate no rolls in places that are less than six feet deep so that folks don't get stuck upside down?

Maybe they should mandate that rolls only be done in water less than four feet deep, so if the paddler can't pull it off, they can just stand up...
:confused::confused:

Watch Out

Gawd forbid that the power boaters actually watch where they are going! This may interupt a trip to the cooler.

kayak flag

I think I recall a footnote in the Bill that also requires.... that the attachment of the antenna must use a breakaway device attached to the deck. The device must allow for adjusting the antenna breakaway force which would protect against entrapment should the vessel rollover and become wedged, stalled or otherwise constrained by the antenna not allowing the vessel to regain an upright position. The breakaway device must be fashioned using non-corrosive materials , with a net weight of not more than ten pounds, and be certified USCG Approved.
( it is noted that so as to not overly complicate the legislative and enactment process, the requirement for annual inspection and certification of the device would be considered in a special Bills Amendment session -date to be announced )
This can't be true ! Dave DeVivo

Bill Info:

http://www.malegislature.gov/bills/187/house/h00652

Much to my dismay, my local legislator is a petitioner on this bill. This is after several years of calls and correspondence from me on other hair brained canoe/kayak "safety" proposals...

This is from the bill sponsor:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me via email. Because of the very high volume of emails I'm receiving prior to the bill co-sponsorship deadline, I can't physically answer every email I receive. (I have received over 100/day this week) If you are writing to bring a specific bill to my attention for co-sponsorship, please know that I will personally read your email and research the bill(s) you're interested in. Because nearly 6000 bills are filed, it is impossible to co-sponsor every good bill that is submitted. I will be happy to work with you to bring worthwhile legislation to the floor for a vote.

If this is an urgent matter, please contact my Legislative Aide Dottie Smith at: dorothy.smith@mahouse.gov or at 617.722.2800 extension 8905.

Thank you again for your email.

Sarah

Rep Sarah Peake

Room 473F, State House

Boston, MA 02133

Last edited:
Fitz --

Your legislator does not seem to envision that some of her constituents might oppose one of those 6000 bills and seek its defeat.

If you can give me specific identification information for the bill, I will write in opposition, pointing out that as a potential vacationer who owns a kayak, I would not likely vacation (and spend money) in a state with such a requirement.

And if you have it, I think many of us would be interested in seeing the full text of the bill.

Greg

Maybe someone could arrange to take these yokels kayaking just so they could see first hand what they are asking the boating community to do!

The Sarah Peake Law

A law this stupid should forever be identified by the name of the ignorant twit who proposed it. I would be pleased if all future references to this proposal should carry this name. The world of boating should be aware of such foolishness and the people who propose it. Perhaps even the Peake-Atkins Law.

Last edited:
Response

I got this from my Rep. tonight:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H. 652, An Act relative to the safe operation of kayaks in navigable waters, sponsored by Rep. Sarah Peake of Provincetown. When I initially decided to cosponsor this bill, I believed it would help to increase safety for kayakers. In the time since I signed onto this bill a number of people have contacted my office to express their opposition to it, and I now understand how the rules proposed in this bill might reduce safety for kayakers rather than enhancing safety. This information helps both Rep. Peake and me to consider the proposal in a new light, and I thank you and the other people who have contacted me for expressing your views on this issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Notice she points out who actually sponsored the nonsense, and we can't take your word for it, but we can take "a number of people"'s word for it..:rolleyes:

After about half a decade of this nonsense, I keep wondering how long it will take to sink in that the paddling community is adequately regulated. How long before they go and pick on jet skis or something?

Back