Leeboard construction

Kevin McP

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello ladies and gentlemen my name is Kevin and I'm new to the forum. I'm currently working on building a Lee board for my 16 ft canoe I've found some pictures online but nothing gives me accurate measurements. My question to the masses is, what would be the exact dimensions to build a Lee board? I have white oak which I read should suffice as building material and I have advanced knowledge of woodworking. all I really need to know is what would be the best shape and appropriate sizing for a 16-foot canoe. I apologize in advance if this is a double posting or multiple threads of already covered this topic but I cannot find them thank you.

Do you want to make reproductions of traditional leeboards made by one of the classic builders, a general purpose leeboard, or a high-performance leeboard (shaped with NACA foils)?

I got two pieces of white oak that are 48 inches plus long and I can make just about anything I'm giving it a design for. function over form is really my motivation on this one plus I've got a hardwood lumber store two blocks from my house so additional material is of no consequence

Thank you so very much for helping me with those plans to construct a lee bored as you can see I have my lee board and thwart along with some roping so that I can raise and lower it from the rear seat.
I and my girlfriend took it out on Geneva Lake in Wisconsin and successfully sailed both with and against the wind, without tipping!

Attachments

• 150447526930083836426.jpg
    150447526930083836426.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 1,511
Nice job - thanks for reporting back in.

Sail when you can, paddle when you must!

Dan

Back