Latest project - Chestnut >> Peterborough?

Dan Lindberg

Ex Wood Hoarder
After buying this canoe 18 mts ago, I finally got it home last week.

It was advertised as a 16 ft Chestnut Pal, but was it?

I had the seller carefully measure it, and the best I could determine, it was an early 34" Pal, sounds good, just what I was looking for, so I told the guy I'd take it, and sent him a check to hold it until I could arrange pickup.

Ended up my buddy drove down and got it, and stored it over winter, till last weekend when I drove down to get it. So after 18 months I could finally see it in person.
We did take it and a couple other canoes out for a test paddle, and she paddles very well. I'm happy. I've been looking for a solo canoe for a long time.

Anyway, I got it home and finally get it down off the truck and on horses to inspect it for the 1st time.

Doesn't look too bad, typical Chestnut, narrow ribs, wide spacing, arched decks, slat seats, still in canvas, and large yellow Canadian safety decals on both decks, so no manufacturer decals.

But what do I see on the ft stem, a faint S/N, that starts 1492, with 4 unknown numbers following.

And so the question, does the 1492 make it for sure a Peterborough Champlain?
(not that it matters, narrow Pal, Champlain, either way it paddles very nice.)

Dan

The Chestnut Pal and Peterborough low end Champlain are more or less identical.

Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Company

Thanks H.E. and Dick,

I kinda figured it was but sense we don't see many Chestnuts or Peterboroughs here I had to ask.
Other then some softness at the tips, and needing new outers, it doesn't look too bad.

Dan

Back