Late model Gerrish update

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Off and on, this one is taking quite a while. Starting to put on the outwales, very early design, the planking goes all the way to the tops of the gunwales. Then, 4, 1/2 round rail caps cover the inwales and outwales and all converge at the end of the canoe. This one IS a long road......then more paint, varnish and new keel.

Attachments

• 101_5585.jpg
    101_5585.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 101_5586.jpg
    101_5586.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 115_3108.jpg
    115_3108.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 242
I love what this canoe says about the development of the open gunwale... the finesse that may have seemed necessary at the time to encourage folks to accept this new technology. The half-rounds lead the eye away from the openings in the rails, and provide a finished-look for those expecting the top to be capped. The short cap-pieces used by Kennebec, Morris and others seems to stem from this same idea-- a nice finishing-detail on canoes that might have seemed very different when first introduced.

You do beautiful work, Chris. The ol' canoe made it into the right hands! Maybe Assembly 2015?

Kathy

Yes, next year. I think the story of the transition from closed to open gunwale is neat, and this is a great example of that, I agree. It will look quite different than most have seen especially where they converge at the ends.

Back