Kennebec Stem Issues

Carlton

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi Folks,
I'm in the process of restoring a 1924 Kennebec. When I received the canoe it had been through a prior restoration. So I'm not sure of it's original design. I have removed the fiberglass from the hull, stripped the interior and received some assistance with canvassing and filling the weave. My question centers on the stem. I could add a brass stem band to cover the overlap seam of the canvas. However, I'm worried about the level protection the stem band will provide. Or I could build an outer stem, splicing it into the keel, at which point I would add the brass stem band. I know this would provide all the protection I should need. But I'm not sure if the canoe had an outer stem when it was built. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks!

Carlton: You might find the answer by looking at the inside of the inner stem. My Morris of that era had the outer stem attached with substantial rivets. The holes were very visible. I assume that you have the new canvas on, and have hidden any evidence of outer stem attachment on the outer side of the stem.

Hi Folks,
I'm in the process of restoring a 1924 Kennebec.
My question centers on the stem. I could add a brass stem band to cover the overlap seam of the canvas. However, I'm worried about the level protection the stem band will provide.
Or I could build an outer stem, splicing it into the keel, at which point I would add the brass stem band. I know this would provide all the protection I should need. But I'm not sure if the canoe had an outer stem when it was built. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure where you and Benson ended up with the serial number search?
The one that he provided (for a Morris style boat) included outside stems. Is that the boat that you are working on?
If yes, you should probably restore the stems and as was noted in Paul's post, these are properly secured with rivets. There should be evidence of the rivet holes in your inside stem. I have noticed that a Western NY shop is offering these rivets for sale.

WRT boats without outside stems...most canoes do not have wooden outside stems. They simply have the stem band attached. My canoes are all used pretty hard. I don't deliberately abuse them and I don't make a habit of ramming them on shore, but I also don't obsess over making contact with the stem band. I've never had damage or a problem that an outside stem might have prevented...well possibly aside from the twist in the Traveler's stem band from an unannounced rock on the Allagash...Rollin says damage is good so the boat is better now than new..Seriously, the stem band did it's job and prevented damage to the hull.
Unless the boat was originally built with outside stems (or a keel) I would never install these if for no reason other than to save the extra hassle and weight.

If your canoe originally had an outside stem then the outside face of the inner stem (where you tacked the canvas) will be wider than the face of a stem on a canoe that never had an outside stem. The additional width is necessary to seat the outside stem.

Back