Kennebec 12 footer Serial Number 15914

BenH

BudBen Canoe Boys
Hello All,

My friend Bud and I are in Maryland working on a 12 foot Kennebec, either a standard or a junior model. It is stamped 12 15914 on both stems. It is in sad shape, needing both stems repaired, multiple ribs splinted, both inwales repaired, new outwales, new deck plates, and new canvas. It had really hideous seats woven with a sort of fluorescent blue yarn :eek: instead of cane. But, it is a cute boat with lots of tumblehome.

We would like to find out how old it is and any information that is known about this canoe. Can anyone help?

Thanks in Advance,

BenH

You may want to take another look at those serial numbers to see which digit is the least clear or post some images of them here. The Kennebec serial number 15914 was assigned to two 17 foot long models, one was an ordinary Kennebec model and one had sponsons. The 12 foot Kennebec numbers jump from 15910 to 15915. All of these date from around 1922.

Benson

Thank you for the prompt response. I will ask Bud to post the stem pictures he took. The S/N sure looked like 15914 to us but we will check it. Was it usual for Kennebec to assign the same number to more than one canoe?

Ben Harris

Thank you for the prompt response. I will ask Bud to post the stem pictures he took. The S/N sure looked like 15914 to us but we will check it. Was it usual for Kennebec to assign the same number to more than one canoe?

Ben Harris

Kennebec was trickier than that. The number Benson referred to as being assigned to two canoes was really assigned to only one canoe. For whatever reason, they used a double entry system for sponson canoes, related somehow to their need to assign sponsons serial numbers too. So, canoe the 17' canoe with sn 15914 got sponson pair with the number 5272.

I get it. One entry for the canoe and one for the sponsons. Well, that clears up one mystery for me. Next is the serial number for my 12 footer. We'll post pics of it soon.

Ben

Uploads of pics of the serial number in the stems.

LAter-Bud

Attachments

• IMG_5030.JPG
    IMG_5030.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5029.JPG
    IMG_5029.JPG
    454.4 KB · Views: 260
  • number.jpg
    number.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 234
My guess is that you have the Kennebec canoe with serial number 15944 which is shown on page 171 of volume three in the Kennebec ledgers. This was assigned to a 12 foot long Kennebec model type A. It was planked by Cameron on February 11th, 1922. The canvas covering was put on by Tuttle on the same day. The first filler coat was also applied on the same day by Chamberlain. Leo Soucie applied the second filler coat on May 20th, 1922. It was railed by Oakes on May 12th, 1923. The original paint color was green. It shipped on May 12th, 1923 to location "23-287". This location is probably an order number but we don't currently have enough information to identify it.

The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA). I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

More information about this and other Kennebec models can be found in the Kennebec catalogs contained on the Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection CDs available from http://www.wcha.org/catalog/ and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm on the web.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• k-15944-a.gif
    k-15944-a.gif
    498.3 KB · Views: 219
  • k-15944-b.gif
    k-15944-b.gif
    412 KB · Views: 214
Back