Is this Peterborough?

Bigredmf

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Greetings everyone.
I've been contemplating procuring this canoe. Seller was told by the restorer he felt it was early Peterborough.
I've looked at the catalogs posted at the museum site and have been unable to find a match.
Length 16' x 33-1/2" wide
The mast thwart looks a bit funky but know I'm a noobie to canoes.
The skiff I find interesting as well, it appears to be branded Seabird including the oars. I did find Seabird boats out of Muskoka but nothing this utilitarian.
Any help from the experts would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Kevin

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1714228598271.jpg
    FB_IMG_1714228598271.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 54
  • FB_IMG_1714228605061.jpg
    FB_IMG_1714228605061.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 52
  • FB_IMG_1714228609744.jpg
    FB_IMG_1714228609744.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 56
  • FB_IMG_1714229202591.jpg
    FB_IMG_1714229202591.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The thwart "hangers" floor and clips look similar to one Paul Miller shared on this thread.

I have limited experience but:
This is a board and batten canoe and because of the one piece decks, I'd guess it was early. It has damage to the planks and this has been overcome by either canvassing or fibre glassing. The thwart blocks are similar to most all wood canoes that I've seen. What is new to me is the sailing mast hole in a thwart - all those that I've seen have mast holes in the deck. If it is / was a Peterborough, originally it would have some thwart plates identifying it as such, but I'd have thought these were removed when the canvas or glass was put on. There might be a shadow of a decal on the deck if you search.

Sam

I have limited experience but:
This is a board and batten canoe and because of the one piece decks, I'd guess it was early. It has damage to the planks and this has been overcome by either canvassing or fibre glassing. The thwart blocks are similar to most all wood canoes that I've seen. What is new to me is the sailing mast hole in a thwart - all those that I've seen have mast holes in the deck. If it is / was a Peterborough, originally it would have some thwart plates identifying it as such, but I'd have thought these were removed when the canvas or glass was put on. There might be a shadow of a decal on the deck if you search.

Sam
Thank you Sam, you've got me looking at wide board canoes now.

I'm not seeing any longitudinal battens on the red canoe.

Try searching flush batten. - the batten is there but set in flush. I think I can see the nails at the left side of the third photo
Sam

Back