Is Aluminum Collectable?

Bob Holtzman

Wannabe
Got a query from a friend of a friend who has an old Grumman aluminum canoe: It's serial number is SN 327-A-18 and he believes it is "one of the first ones they made." He wonders if it has any historic value, or if he should just let his Boy Scout troop use it. (I don't see why it's either/or, but it's his question.) If it is the 327'th 18-footer Grumman built, then it probably qualifies as early, but whether anyone would care is another question. Thoughts?

The creation of the aluminum canoe after World War II is certainly important in the history of canoeing – a major shift in the material and construction of canoes, widely popular because of their durability and low maintenance.

That does not mean, however, that they are at present, generally considered collectible. They are still readily available, being frequently advertised in Craigs List and in local newspaper classified ads in the north country, usually at quite reasonable prices. I regularly see them around in Maine and elsewhere, sometimes even in Brooklyn (NY); some are battered and worn, but many are in surprisingly good shape.

sm cr Copy of 100_4102.JPG
Brownstone Brooklyn canoe

The Adirondack Museum has one example in its collection, not on display, because the Museum tries to have examples of all boats used in the Adirondacks. The particular example collected is unusual because of its paint job, designed to be read when the canoe was car-topped:

sm 100_9311.jpg
The other end had the lettering right side up.

I don’t think that an ordinary example of an aluminum canoe would excite very many collectors, and I would think that number 327 out of a run of thousands (tens of thousands?) would not be considered very special (if that is what the number signifies).

Just my 2 cents and I could be wrong, but I say let the scouts use it.

To help determine its age, Grumman changed the shape of the deck plates and seats, the early decal was different, and the early canoes had an airtight chamber for floatation under the deck plates - not foam, as later version had. Maybe a museum near Marathon, NY that is interest in local industry might be interested if this is an early canoe, but I don't know of other collectors. I agree with Greg - let the scouts use it. Tom McCloud

It wouldn't hurt the canoe to be used by the scouts, even if it had historic value... you're right about that. Many who post here have more "delicate" canoes and use them all the time. Some children's camps used aluminum because the kids couldn't hurt them much. Some people like to keep an aluminum canoe for kids to knock-about in.

Thanks for you input everyone. I believe the friend-of-a-friend will be taking your advice and actually using the boat with his Scouts.

Back