Inwale Material

Lew's Canoes

Canoe Builder
Has anyone ever had experience using either red or white cedar as inwale material? I recently got my hands on a 17 foot 2x6 of clear white cedar, and before I start milling it into nice long planking, it occurred to me that it would make pretty nice inwales. Can also fairly easily get ahold of long straight grained red cedar. So any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Lew

I would stay clear of "cedars" for gunnels, stick with a hardwood like Ash... IMHO They are structural to the canoe and need strength...

Hi David

Good to see you here. I was also thinking that BB canoe rails were cedar. They would be split and therefore stronger than sawn but still as soft. I do not think they worried about dinging the 'whales on the roof racks.

I used cypress and it is soft like cedar. I liked it. I would use cedar if it was leftover from making long planking stock. Long planking stock is a good thing to have. I think I'd turn it all into planks. But it would be light weight.

"stick with ash" ---pretty good pun.

I have been using sitka spruce for inwales pretty expensive wood.i have been considering using eastern white spruce the lumber yards have boards marked spf not sure what i am getting.which board would be better suited for this purpose

dave

Back