Interior question

Good Cookies

Canoeist
What should we have installed as far as interiors go, before we expect to canvas? 18' OT HW #58613? Also, I just want to double check, to make sure this boat had 3 thrwarts originally?

Thanks,
Mic

Attachments

• hull.JPG
    hull.JPG
    608 KB · Views: 303
Looking good so far - a few more planks - seat the tacks and blast-off!

As far as installations to the interior - putting your thwarts in place (or I usually use temporary thwarts - 3/4" scrap stock) Will help the boat maintain it's shape during the canvassing and filling. You may want to do your varnishing prior to canvassing - especially if the planks have some gaps. It will keep varnish from seeping down into the canvas and filler which might cause problems with the filler and paint. At the very least, it will keep the varnish from gluing the canvas to the hull, which could cause problems for future restorers.

Most of the 18' boats had 3 thwarts.

BTW, I get through the Buffalo area on occasion - be glad to stop in sometime. Great to see someone working on a boat with kids!

From the photo you attached it looks like the decks aren't yet installed. You'll definitely want those in before canvassing. You might also consider replacing the tacks attaching the planks to the stem with nails. Cut tacks don't have much holding power unless their tips are clinched over and will tend to work loose over time. You can use fine gauge bronze ring nails, copper nails, brass escutcheon pins, or even steel wire nails if you have to. I think they're all a better choice than tacks.

Looks like you and the kids are making great progress!

By the way, Mic, You might want to post your follow-up questions in the Wood & Canvas threads, rather than in the Serial Number Search - You will probably get more responses. This one tends to be just for folks looking up a new Serial #.

thanks

Mike-
Thanks for the input. Let me know when your coming to Buffalo. You will have to stop by the school between 9am-3:30pm, M-F. I will post my questions on the wood fourms. Thanks.

Mic

Back