Information on a Pen Yann Owasco Canoe

mjatrucker

I am looking for more information on a canoe I have acquired. What I know so far is that it is a Pen Yann canoe. It is an Owasco model, serial number ONS468. The research I've done so far indicates this is a canoe built in 1946, it is a 16' model with spruce gunnels. I also believe the last digit in the serial number indicates this was the 8th boat produced in that year.

Any confirmation of this research, or addition would be greatly appreciated.

This boat is in good shape. It clearly needs new canvas, but the structure is very nice! I have the gunnels, but they are in a few pieces. I believe there is minimal wood work required to get this canoe ready for canvas.

Also, suggestions for restoration and the value of this craft would be really appreciated!

Mark

Mark I am restoring a 1949 Penn Yan Carry Canoe Fx49138. Have not seen/heard to much about them from WCHA members. I just pulled some clear sitka spruce boards to rip for my gunnels, mahogany for the decks. Quite a bit of work to do before it sees the water again.
Would love to see some pictures of what you are working on.

It is not clear if the dating theory works with serial numbers with only three numbers (there are a lot of them out there that the first two digits cannot possibly be the year). The alternative would be that it was the 468th canoe built in the first half of a decade. We can say for sure that it was built 1947 or earlier by the presence of the third letter in the serial number.

Otherwise, your research is correct.

For information on valuing canoes, see http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth

Did you forget to post pics of the Owasco? If you did, sorry, I don't see 'em. In any case, here's pics of the Owasco I completed last year. 2013-09-02 13.28.03.jpgDSCN0465.jpg. Like yours it's a 16 footer and from about the same year as well. I can tell you that it's one of my favorite canoes - very stable - not tippy at all, and seems to turn on a dime. To me it looks & performs exactly like an Old Town Otca I sold a while back. Someone once told me that Penn Yan used excellent quality woods for their canoes - may not be true, but I prefer to believe it!

Back