1st & last rib on a Penn Yan Owasco...

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Can anyone tell me whether the 1st & last ribs on a Penn Yan Owasco extend fully up to (1) the top of the gunnels, (2) to the bottom of the gunnels or (3) to the bottom of the inner stem? My canoe was improperly restored years ago & I'm not sure how far the changes went.

From what I can see, the tops of these ribs line up with the end of the inner stem. So I'm guessing they didn't extend to the top of the inwales... 'cause if they did there'd be no room for the inwales! I'm assuming here that the inwales meet up with the stem.

So if the above is true then the ends of these ribs never saw the light of day, meaning that option (1) above is out. So option (2) & (3) will tell me how far the inner stem curved back to meet the deck.

Anybody have some pics detailing this area? I've got a PennYan Rainbow but it's no help as the profile is different.

I don't recall any Penn Yan canoes that had the 1st and last ribs extend to the top of the inwale. They ended slightly below the inwale and were the same thickness as the other ribs.

Well, I have an Owasco that it sure looks like the 1st and 2ed rib are "close" to flush with the rails.
I believe it's a 1931 vintage, OSN 62.

Dan

P2060191.jpg P2060188.jpg P2060189.jpg P2060190.jpg P2060194.jpg

My question is whether there's another rib hidden inside that doesn't make its way out to the rails. Your pics, taken from the top, wouldn't show them. I'm suspect that, like G.Cramer says, if you looked inside your canoe you'd see a pair of ribs that extend to just below the stem & rails. In any case that's how I'm proceeding... Just got the stems repaired today; tomorrow the inwales. Thanks for the pics.

I'll look closer tomorrow, but I tried to look and what you see is what you get, ie, is, I don't think there was any more ribs that were cut short closer to the stem.

I just canvassed the '46' Rainbow. But, once I removed the fiberglass and the rot, epoxied the stem and and started work on the gunnel ends, I saw the same thing. The "floating" end ribs made me nervous so I did wedge a block under the deck to secure those ribs. Took it to Dave Osborn for help with the canvas and he confirmed (maybe somebody else watching the canvas go on confirmed) that Penn Yan did build those end ribs free floating. I don't like it and we kept the blocks in place. Would love to know why they are cut short and free floating.

Would love to know why they are cut short and free floating.

Almost always something like this can be chalked up to "Ease of Manufacturing." Remember, these things were built in factories, by factory workers, not by artisans like they are today...

I'm no expert, but I assume it's because of the tall swept back 'sails' at both ends of the canoe: they sweep so far back that they cover the 1st rib. I can't see that that's a problem though... what is there to anchor them in place at the ends except the inner stem, and to anchor these ribs properly on their frame they would have had to notch the stem which would only weaken them. The Owasco's profile is touted by PY to be identical to OldTown's Otca, and as I recall the Otca has a big wide span between the stem & the 1st rib (though I may be misremembering). I'd rather have the extra rib.
But like you I too plan to add some wood - both to tie these ribs together as well as to make the stem tip more secure.

I'm with Dan. It's faster and easier then tapering and fitting the end ribs would be. I guess my concern was the canvas would be too flexible there and there may be a potential for the rib to snap when I run the bow into a rock. I cut the wood very snug and ran a couple threaded nails through the rib and into the block of wood. Drill first using a tiny bit. It was pretty solid without the nail but...

Hey Howie,

I shot upright in bed last night over this.
If you do insert a wood block and fasten through the ribs, be very sure you have not altered the lines of the canoe. I think the rib should be just about flush with the outside of the inwale. But do step back and look before you finalize it.

So my wife says, "what?! you OK?" I say, "Yeah, I was just thinking about a stranger's canoe." And this has become normal pillow talk. Nasty hobby.

If I remember correctly, the outside of the ribs are flush with the outside of the inwales. I don't recall any problems with this construction technique on any Penn Yan canoes that I' have restored.

Back