Here's one for Kathryn, a Morris?

BRWWKG

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I own a canoe I know as being a Morris. I have bought and read Kathryn's Morris Canoe book. I read it cover to cover and loved every word. Kathryn should be applauded for her work to bring together such fine research on the Morris Canoe and Morris Family.
The canoe I have has the rectangular brass plate on the stem #975. It is about 17 feet long, closed gunwales, three cant ribs, and short curved deck.
From reading the book I now wonder if this is different- with the three cant ribs, curved deck and that low of a serial number. I await everyone's thoughts.
The canoe is in need of canvas restoration and it does appear the seats and thwarts may not be original. There are a couple of broken ribs but no serious damage.
I will post pictures then await the comments.
Bruce Reynolds

Attachments

• 1580.jpg
    1580.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 322
  • 1583.jpg
    1583.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 1584.jpg
    1584.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 313
  • 1585.jpg
    1585.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 1587.jpg
    1587.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 320
  • 1590.jpg
    1590.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 315
Hello Bruce,
Thanks for your kind words regarding the Morris book. Your canoe appears to be a Veazie, discussed in Chapter 9-- unless it seems there was/is another digit between the 9 and the 7. The numbers look very clear and from looking at the picture it seems 975 is the serial number. A low serial number on a rectangular plate on the stem is indicative of a Veazie Canoe Company canoe. This canoe would be the 13th Veazie entered into our database.

If the canoe had another digit between the 9 and 7 (to make it 9X75), it would date to about 1912. A Veazie with the number 975 would date to sometime after 1913, as Veazie 716 was purchased in 1913. The serial number plate on your canoe is rotated (the narrow end is parallel to the ribs) which places it before 1916-- so my guess is that it's c.1914-1915.

Seats and thwarts on a Veazie are most often something other than mahogany-- usually maple that may be stained a mahogany color. Decks may be mahogany or maple.

Nice canoe-- appears to be in good shape. Will you be taking it to the assembly this July? Don't be concerned if it isn't restored-- we might be able to place a date with more certainty if we have a chance to compare it to others first-hand. I look forward to what we'll learn when we have a large number of Morris canoes in one place!

Kathy

Back