help

Bparker

Hello everyone, I am new to the canvas canoe club and recently acquired a nice looking canoe. I belei e it is an old town based on the diamond bolts. I havr 2a questions. First, I live in mid coast maine and was wondering if any of you knew someone I could take it to to have it looked at. Secondly, the serial numbers seem to have been painted over. What is the safest way to remove the paint to uncover what, if anything is underneath? Thanks everyone!

wow your in the right state to have someone look at it ,if you go to the builders directory you will see quite a few builders in maine that you can take it to.also some things can be answered on here with good photos

The safest way to get to the serial numbers on the base of the stems is with paint remover and rags or a soft brush. Unless you are stripping the entire interior, protect the surrounding area with a couple of layers of masking tape, and gently remove paint/varnish. With luck, the paint will be over the original varnish. Don't risk sanding or using a scraper or wire brush in the areas where the numbers should be. I have a canoe where virtually the entire number was scraped or sanded off before I got it -- there is only enough left to show that a serial number had been stamped into the stem, but what is left is indecipherable.

Check your private messages.

Greg

Back