Help with ID of UFO

ffergie

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Here is a boat that I was told was a Chestnut but there now seems to be some doubt. I post these pics in hope that one of the resident wizards can steer me to the pedigree of my boat. This is more for curiosity than anything else as I very much like the boat and love the way she and I are on the water. She is 16' long, 36" wide and depth is approximately 13". If it means anything, she once had a keel. Also, the center thwart is obviously the work of my Junior high school woodworking skills and not OEM.
Thanks for any help
DSCF2283.JPGDSCF2284.JPGDSCF2278.JPGDSCF2281.JPG

Last edited:
You're in New Brunswick? That's where the Ogilvy was bred and born but this doesn't look much like one, or a Chestnut for that matter. Others know the other Canada makers better than I. Faber? Huron?

Yup, the site of the old factory is about an hour away and the person who is doing my restore once worked for Chestnut. He mentioned that the boat was maybe a Huron or a Trembly. Either way, I am anxious to have her back and spend some time with her; she'll be ready in time for some nice fall paddles.
Appreciate your replies, Larry

I have an 18 foot Ogilvy (altho the Ogilvy is currently canvas-less) and 17 foot Prospector. As you likely know the Ogilvy was developed for guides to take sports Salmon fishing. Very flat bottomed, extreme initial stability and can be easily poled and paddled (while standing up.) Heavily loaded for camping trips, the Ogilvy is a bit of a pig. It’s very tightly ribbed. At least the bigger ones have a “coffee table” for a center thwart.

Mine is definitely not an Ogilvy as there is very little chance that you would stand up in her; for very long anyway :) Her initial stability is as good at starting you as a couple of espressos in the morning but once you drop her gunwale into the water and kneel........ heavenly. As for my fleet, I have the UFO, an OT 17'4" Discovery (the boat that I loan to novice paddlers) and my Kevlar Mad River Explorer that I just bought a couple of weeks ago. I had been bargaining on a 14' Merrimack that I was looking to pick for solo use but it was probably too wide for that.

Back